Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

TANF, can someone explain?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm wondering about TANF. Can someone explain to me who qualifies for it? And what exactly does it entail? I need to sort out financial issues in my life quite quickly as this was an unexpected pregnancy. So I decided while I was doing part time at my state university (nursing) that I would go to a vocational school to get a temporary license in a health care field (LPN) so I would at least have a decent paying job that also gives me experience in a field I'm already working towards a degree in.  If for any reason I needed to cut back on school hours to spend more time with my child I'd have that option.

I was wondering how TANF works exactly though for single mothers? The father of my child is an English citizen so he isn't even from this country. We met while I was looking to study abroad and I lived with him in Bristol, England for 5 months. This current situation is kind of a nightmare. He's hoping to have a job move within a year to two years time as his job does offer opportunities over here where I live. He's going to help me as much as he can. But I still have the feeling I'm going to need to derive financial help from other places until I complete the 12 month vocational program.

Please, no nasty comments or low blows.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Janet on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
It's cash assistance. You can't work at all and still get it. I was on it 1.5 months and the requirements were crazy. Job hunting 40 hours per week with proof. Employers had to sign a log. There were few jobs at that time, I ended up applying for the same jobs 3 and 4 times. The staff was degrading and rude. I walked out of sessions many times because if their treatment. I was more educated than some of the caseworkers yet they treated me like an idiot. I was better off working and getting day care to help me out than put up with the verbal abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriangavin
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

First off congrats on the LO I'm happy you have a plan to get a good job :) Like op said TANF won't help much and you don't get much at all... Check into section 8 housing and getting help with rent, electricity, etc. even food stamps.  If your spending less money there then you have more to spend where you need it. Have you applied for WIC?

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You will be forced to apply for child support while on it and England is party to the Hague Convention so England if that is where he is, will enforce a child support order. There really is no way to collect welfare and Dad not get stuck with the bill.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Its a debt to the state that the absent parent has to pay back.

I would leave it as a very last option, since its not enough to make it and its alot of work and time to get on it.

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm not going to give nasty or low blows because I'm not quite sure what TANF is. Have heard of it but not familiar. Hope everything works out for you and your child.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Your state's website should have information on TANF and their particular requirements (most states are different). If nothing else, you can always google "child support (your state)" and from the child support website, they should have a link to other forms of assistance like TANF, WIC, etc.

SaraSnider
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Well im on it because i got fired at 6months pregnant. I had to file for child support (didnt want to open that can of worms seeing my dd's dad is a pos) but im looking for work and trying to get off it because it feels like they want to own you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Phillymama123
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to work for DPW in the TANF unit in Pennsylvania. Most of what everyone said is true. But some perks of TANF are: it *is* income. In Philly it was $205/month for a single pregnant woman
But with TANF you automatically get Medicaid. And when the baby is born you skip the child care assistance waiting list. And if you are in school, you can get textbook and transportation assistance. Section 8 rates would be lower with a tanf income and you are still wic eligible. That being said, yes they will make you apply for child support...if you get more from that than Pa that is possibly the better route. And if you are not in school the work requirements are a bit ridiculous
Finally there is a lifetime limit on a. Receiving TANF in most states and b. on how long school counts under the work requirements. Weigh your options carefully.
ASLmommy89
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

The good thing about her being in school is that she can list her class hours as a job searching and just have the teachers sign off after every class. Thats what cash assistance does in Florida atleast. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

It's cash assistance. You can't work at all and still get it. I was on it 1.5 months and the requirements were crazy. Job hunting 40 hours per week with proof. Employers had to sign a log. There were few jobs at that time, I ended up applying for the same jobs 3 and 4 times. The staff was degrading and rude. I walked out of sessions many times because if their treatment. I was more educated than some of the caseworkers yet they treated me like an idiot. I was better off working and getting day care to help me out than put up with the verbal abuse.

pranafauna
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Thank you so much for the insightful replies ladies. I'm still seeking out different options so I haven't made an ultimate decision. But I do like that I was given some personal first hand experiences from people. I know it's obviously a very personal issue, but I just wanted to thank everyone so far for sharing with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)