Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I break my 1 and half yr old of her bottle ?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 8 Replies
My dd is 1 and a half...she still takes bottle at night when I put her to bed...every time I try not to give her bottle she cries so much it breaks my heart and I give in..how do I get her to quit needing it ? So confused and sad ...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I just stopped.  He cried and cried, but I wouldn't give it to him anymore.  Took me two weeks.  I replaced his bottle with a blanket.  

biomom1437
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

not sure my daughter pretty much weined herself of the bottle.  but maybe try giving a sippy cup of milk at bedtime while you read a story then when he finishes the sippy take it from him don't let him have the sippy all night.  but ya i think the transition can be hard for toddlers that just want their bottle.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
My son picked out his new cups and threw the bottles away himself saying bye bye. Crying is heartbreaking but she will learn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mznaye
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM
My ds' daycare took his bottle from him at one. I dont think I could have done it myself.
Jers.
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

This was a long time ago for me so I can't really remember, but I do know that sippy cups were involved.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Only put water in bottle. She will cry but if she's not hungry she is fine... then she will learn it will not be milk anymore and drink water if thirsty or wein herself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camommy08
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

well one dont give it to her she cries cause she knows that you will give it to her. two get rid of the bottles so she has no choice but to use her sippy cup. my daughter would only chew on the hard top sippie cups so i got the soft top ones. and every now and than give her a hard top one to see if she got the idea. it took awhile but one day she just drank from the hard top sippie cup so i got rid of the soft top sippie cup.

IloveNCIS
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Quit giving in............that usually works

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)