Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Puppy trouble PLEASE HELP

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 18 Replies
I have this 3 month old pit bull terrier mix puppy. She can be very friendly and loving and I know she is a puppy and that's part of the reson she is hyper and constantly jumping and biting. I have signed her up for training classes and I have been working hard with her all week with what we learned in last weeks class. But she is still biting and trying to tear things up. I can't even get the kids dressed without her grabbing the clothes and playing tug of war with them. I can be sitting in my chair watching TV and she will grab my foot and bite it. Or if I pet her she will bite me. The trainer told me that when she bites scream ouch and hide my hands for a few seconds and she will get the hint. But now she is moving to my feet. The trainer said if I see her chewing on something she's not suppose to try giving her one of her toys to get her to leave the other item alone. Tried it she will take the toy and put it on the ground next to her and go back to chew on the other item. I have been told I can't disipline her cause it might scare her or cause her to be more aggressive. If you have ever raised a puppy and have any tips that would be awesome thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyork1
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Verbally discipline her.  A sharp NO! When she bites or chews something she is not supposed to, then redirect to a toy with positive reinforcement (verbal praise, use a sweet happy voice) when she is acting appropriately. Do not play with her if she is biting.  The good news is at that age the biting is not an aggressive sign in anyway, she just needs to learn manners.  If you get overwhelmed by her when you are trying to dress your kids, etc, crate her so you can get your chores done, then let her out when you have more time to keep an eye on her behavior.  Just keep at it and don't get discouraged! And Honestly, a tap on the nose as you tell her no when she bites will not turn her vicious. Beating and terrorizing animals turns them vicious. Just love her and do your best to train her with patience, discipline to teach her, not out of anger, and you will be fine.  Hope this helps.

lyork1
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Oh and it is not bad for her to be a little scared or shocked when you tell her no.  She needs to learn to respect you and your family as dominant. You just don't want to overdo it to where she is normally scared of you or people in general.

jenking04
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM
It does help a lot thanks. I will keep at it and hope she gets better.

Quoting lyork1:

Verbally discipline her.  A sharp NO! When she bites or chews something she is not supposed to, then redirect to a toy with positive reinforcement (verbal praise, use a sweet happy voice) when she is acting appropriately. Do not play with her if she is biting.  The good news is at that age the biting is not an aggressive sign in anyway, she just needs to learn manners.  If you get overwhelmed by her when you are trying to dress your kids, etc, crate her so you can get your chores done, then let her out when you have more time to keep an eye on her behavior.  Just keep at it and don't get discouraged! And Honestly, a tap on the nose as you tell her no when she bites will not turn her vicious. Beating and terrorizing animals turns them vicious. Just love her and do your best to train her with patience, discipline to teach her, not out of anger, and you will be fine.  Hope this helps.

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM
We used an unwelcome sound for bad behavior and good sound for good. They picked right up on it. The unwelcome sound we couldn't hear only they could. Similar to a bark collar.
jenking04
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Where do you get something like that??

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

We used an unwelcome sound for bad behavior and good sound for good. They picked right up on it. The unwelcome sound we couldn't hear only they could. Similar to a bark collar.

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Takes patience. Diff breeds are more hyper and stubborn. A friend had a pit that was very well trained. I had a chow that took forever to house break. He got there at bought a yr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Get a spray bottle filled with water and when she does the undesired behaviour spay her. It works. Also make sure she has enough chew toys and gets enough play time too.  A crate works well in both potty training and behavioural training.  My dogs are trained that when they hear me yell, they go to their crates. It doesn't matter who the offender was, they dart and wait to be told to come out again.  When they would misbehave I would poit and say in a deep voice bed, and lead them to the bed and shut the crate. I taught them to go to the bed by leadin ghtem near it and putting treats on it and saying bed, everytime the stepped on the bed and giving them a treat. It took a few days with my older dogs and just a few days with the puppies. They al follow each other lead.  The spray bottle works for any unwanted behavior like mouthing and chewing on stuff that isn't for them like jackets and shoes. 

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Petsmart sells them. They are training collars. Works great if you have 1 dog, not so great if you have more than one since they all can hear the sounds. Confused my dogs. But if you save the reciept you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

Quoting jenking04:

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Newfie_Mom
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Our local pet store had a variety of sound training tools. You can also find them online.

Quoting jenking04:

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Not sure but i would be worried it would bite the kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)