Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How Long?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM
  • 13 Replies
how long have you been doing the single mom thing?

While the time that I have basically being doing this and the time that me and the SD have been completely seperated differ, I generally use the former. For all intensive purposes and for how I feel, I have been doing this for about 4.5 years now.
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CerealMom3
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Well with my first son I did it for the first two years of his life then me and his father got married. We now have 3 kids together and I've been doing it for the past year and a half.
NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2007 at 11:30 AM
About 7 months.  But, I was with my ex for 7 years and I was pretty much single the whole time.  He left as soon as I came home from work...didnt come home until I was getting up to go to work the next day.  He never came home on the weekends and never did any family activites with us.  He even slept through Christmas morning and the kids and I did presents alone.  So, the only difference now is I have to support the kids and myself 100% alone...besides that...I feel like I have always been single!
Nikkibov81
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 11:33 AM
Single since July... when my husband walked out on his family for a girl who had no responsibilities, no baby, and a nice little cocaine habbit. Oh yeah, and don't forget, no weight gained by pregnancy or strech marks! HA! Now she's pregnant!!!!!

Anyway... before he left I pretty much felt like I had a roommate not a husband anyway. He went to the bar or his mistress's place every chance he got... and never paid much attention to Emma, no giving baths, no comforting while crying, no playtime whatever.
PaWAHM
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 12:22 PM
Well, it has been 16 years for me!  I was married once, but it only lasted one year, after 3 years with him.  And I never married my daughter's dad (thank God!), but we lived together for 3 years off-and-on.  I plan to stay single too.  I am in a relationship, but have no plans to marry him.  After all the crap I have been through with relationships, I LOVE being single!
squish_is_me
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM
i gotta tell you.. its somewhat of a reliefe knowing Im among others who have been at this for more than a few months! On my previous forum we created a private site to talk. A couple of the girls had found men and were engaged and did nothing but talk marriage and wedding crap.
 -- I visit single moms to have a sanctuarty. I have a parenting chat forum FULL of happily married woman. I choose single moms as a place to get away from that talk and join in converstation with others in a similar place in life.
So anyway most of the woman on that board had left and a new round came in (which was these girls that ended up engaged). Well most of them had not been at this for more than a year. And after almost 5.. ya I can tell you Im a little bitter and was utterly annoyed by reading happy wedding talk crap everytime I went to the "single mommy's forum". When I brought it up they banned me from the site.
I went back to the site we all met on but it is practically a ghost town now.

shew.. guess I needed a little venting huh? Anywho... synopsis: Its good to be in the company of woman who have been doing this a little longer and maybe understand better what it feels like at this stage in the game.
youngwidow
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM
8 years with my oldest child.  Then met and married my husband and had my second daughter.  We had 4 fantastic years together and now I guess I fall in to the single Mom category again.  Really hard concept to grasp since I still am married in my heart.....just my husband is in heaven now.
Joules
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM
My kids' dad and I divorced in '99, so I've been doing this for 8 years. I did remarry in Sept. of '06, but we just separated and are on the way to divorce (domestic abuse sucks!). However, even during that marriage, my soon-to-be ex didn't really participate in helping me with MY kids, so I still say I've been a single mom for 8 years. Like some others who have replied, I now just want to stay single. I don't think I'll ever remarry and I'll certainly never introduce my kids kids to any guy I date. My kids are with their dad 50% of the time, so anyone I date will only have me on my "time off", if I so choose.
chel1023
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 11:57 AM

My daughter was born 7 months ago, so, 7 months!  However, all the preparation for her coming into the world was done all by me as well, so financially, it's been longer than 7 months, because I purchased everything for her.  Even though my ex and I were still together when I was pregnant, he never bought anything for her, no clothes, furniture, diapers, nothing. Oh well, I know where my priorities lie and I know where his do to. 

w1ck3d1
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 12:01 PM
I have been married 12 years (the divorce will be final in April hopefully) but I've done it alone the whole time,he was never there to help,there was always something more important to do or to watch on TV.
checkeredhearts
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 12:05 PM
for 5 years now.  Since I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 16 and I'm now 21, although now I'm a single mommy to 2 kids and still going strong!

*!~!*ERYN*!~!*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN