Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I a bad person?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I'm new here, i have posted before about my bf and the fact that i was investigated because im on assistance. Well heres alittle about me: I have been divorced since october 2012, i have two boys and my youngest son has Autism and developmental delays. I have had horrible luck finding and keeping a job. MY only income is SSI for my youngest son and child support i get every two weeks and even that amount varies. I'm so stressed out! i am getting welfare benefits right now have been for about 11 months now, and i feel like crap because of it. I have to pull my con out of daycare because assistance wont pay for it because im not working outside of the home right now my employment plan is written as special medical so i can care for him at home. I just wanna be off assistance i feel like im being watched ever since the stupid guy from the county came over a month ago. I live in fear all the time and i know i did nothing wrong. Am i a bad person for being on assistance? I have just enrolled in school and plan to go for medical transcription so i can work from home and care for my kids. i figure if i cant find suitable employment im going to school to better my future. Should feel this way and be worried all the time? Thanks ladies I just need a good support system and people i can relate to.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Have you thought of nursing instead of medical transcription? Alot of doctors are not using transcribers alot these days and there is a great need for nurses.

If you have not done anything wrong, there is nothing to fear.

If you feel something you are doing is not quite right, change what you are doing so you do not have to continue living like you are in the wrong.

MommaCat0408
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I haven't really thought about nursing, alot of people in my area are going to school for nursing though so i dunno if the field is saturated. Anyways, I just am to the point where i want to be off assistance. society seems to dub " welfare moms" as horrible people and i hate being subject to judgement. I feel like im not good enough. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

The system is there to help the people who need it. Some people will always need it, others only for a temporary situation and others will abuse it. If you want to come off system you have to will yourself off. And by choosing to take some classes to further yourself education and hopefully open up better chances for better opportunites for yourself is the first step. It will take time but keep stepping and always remain positive about what you can achieve.

Quoting MommaCat0408:

I haven't really thought about nursing, alot of people in my area are going to school for nursing though so i dunno if the field is saturated. Anyways, I just am to the point where i want to be off assistance. society seems to dub " welfare moms" as horrible people and i hate being subject to judgement. I feel like im not good enough. 

MommaCat0408
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for the kind words :) I keep trying to remind myself that im doing good and with time things will get better. 

Laronda367
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i deleted my old reply cause i misspelled alot but as long as u are doing what u have to do to take care of ur kids that is all that matters dont feel bad about getting assistance thats what it is there for and as long as ur payen ur bills and ur kids are clean and fead and u do what u got to do, do not be scared or shame and threw times things will get better and u can further ur education and career and all but dont stress :)

MommaCat0408
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Thanks Laronda :) 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with virginiamama, transcribers aren't in high demand.  I would look into the various fields of nursing.  There are so many - therapy, lab work, pharmacy, physial therapy, etc.  Don't count yourself out with the abundance of nursing areas.  I would look into each area and decide which one best fits your desires.  You have a good mind so use it.  You are doing what is best for your kids as they are number in your life.  Providing for them through gov't assistance is a good thing.  It's only temporary.  Remember that.  Good luck, mama!

MommaCat0408
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

you ladies are awesome thank you so much for the encouragement. i needed that :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)