Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

ANyone...had a Pro-Bono Lawyer/Legal Aid for Child Support?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey Ladies,

I'm gearing up/researching for my up and coming battle and I was told I may need a lawyer for Child Support. Heard through the grapevine that my Ex can get a "free" lawyer or low cost from his union and I want to be able to stand against him ready for war. I had already thought of having one even before I had found this information out about what he was doing because there is another child involved and the school benefit from his job and how we have almost joint custody (a day difference). So now since I have heard this from a little bird I want to make sure I have one on deck too.

So the thing is I will have some money saved towards attaining one but i was told that maybe I shouldn't have one but to definitely have one for custody because he may file for that in retaliation. Have any of you ladies had a lawyer for Child Support? I know to definitely have one for custody but I am wondering has anyone had any experience with a lawyer for Child Support. I'm told most attorneys wont take Child Support Cases only Custody.

Also, did you pay for them?

Has anybody had a legal Aid attorney or Pro-Bono attorney for Child Support? even if it was for Custody how did you get that attorney?

Thanks much Ladies! 

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

you dont have to pay for a lawyer for child support. its free. CSE handles it. now custody, maybe.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Never heard of such a thing.  Sorry.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
My child support and custody were all done with my divorce. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I did not use a legal aid attorney but here's a bump for you.  Good luck!!

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
You don't need one for child support. You definitely need one for custody though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
koalasami
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I had a legal aid attorney for my divorce which included the custody and child support.  In our area we have a legal aid service call Land of Lincoln.  They set it up but my attorney was actually a private attorney who took the case pro bono through them.  She was GREAT!

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
You don't need an attorney for child support and it is extremely unlikely you will get a free attorney. Attorneys just don't do pro bono work and when they do its usually for abuse, death penalty case etc. child support is based on income and state guidelines. What is the reason you both have to have attorneys? You do realist you risk spending a fortune only to not get why you want. Are u able to mediate and settle?? The only thing you guys will do is put your attorneys kids through college.
Toshi92
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Thank you ladies! I will ask Child support enforcement CSE services. Maybe I don't need one. I didn't want him to have one and I didn't. And I see the ladies that responded who had divorces it came as a package deal for both child support and custody. I appreciate it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Quoting Robsessed98:

You don't need one for child support. You definitely need one for custody though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Me and my ex just used mediation. We are very civil though. Your ex might be bluffing on getting an attorney through his union i cant imagine they would be totally free or practice family law but you never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)