Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm 19 but treated like im still 13

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm 19 and I have a 9 month old daughter. Her fathers family lives in Georgia and I speak to them very often. I talk to his mom at least once a week and its the same with his sister. I send the rest of his family pictures and keep them updated on how our daughter is doing.

I want to take a little vacation from New York since I've been here and havent left my town for the last year and a half. It's very depressing looking at the same scenery every day and its quite dreary.

My mom doesnt want me to go because she says I dont have the money. But I do have the money. I have to pay my dad $50/month for the phone bill and that I've paid in advance until May. I also bought my sisters car from them and I have to give them $1,000. I've spanned the payments out for 18 months and that will be $60/month. I have money for both of those.

I buy my daughters diapers and every day items in bulk. She has diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. to last her at least until June. The gas for my car is taken care of as well. I dont travel often, so i dont use up that much gas.

But somehow... I dont have enough money. I've accounted for the hotel and flight, and his mom is willing to get the rental car for me.

I'm 19, but i seems as if im 13 and i still need my parents approval. Should i be an adult and just do what i would like to do? Or listen to my parents and just stay put.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lilys_Mommy413
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You are grown with a baby girl. As far as im concerned if you have the funds, then nobody can stop you. I would tell them straight up that I am going i dont need anyones permission. 

JaQuan_Jayla
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Well it depends, Did you want you mom to watch your baby? Or was you taking her with you? If you taking your baby with you, than just go. Or if you live with your mom than you have to follow her rules. 

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Hon at your age i didnt listen to anyone. Age has nothing to do with wisdom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayyCeeJayy
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Im taking my daughter with me. Im going to let her see his family and for me to see them. I havent seen them since i left when i was pregnant

MommysTimeOut5
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Well I would say go if you are going to visit family and friends. I could understand if you were going to Las Vegas and going crazy but you are trying to plan a mini vacation for you and your daughter who would be free to ride on a plane until the age of 2. Think of it as not needing their approval but getting their "advice". Don't feel bad,  I am 30 and still need my parents "advice" now than when I was your age. 

tyfry7496
by Janet on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Then go. They can not stop you. Enjoy your vacation.

Quoting KayyCeeJayy:

Im taking my daughter with me. Im going to let her see his family and for me to see them. I havent seen them since i left when i was pregnant

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM
She does not have to follow moms rules, she is a legal adult with a child. She has her bills paid, daughters needs are taken care of and she has the funds to go. The daughter is going with. Yes, she has to respect them as her parents and let them know her plans but they can not tell her she can't go.

Quoting JaQuan_Jayla:

Well it depends, Did you want you mom to watch your baby? Or was you taking her with you? If you taking your baby with you, than just go. Or if you live with your mom than you have to follow her rules. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

If you think you can do it, go. You are old enough to make your own decisions. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM
It sounds like you have it planned out monetarily well so if you think it's in your means go. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Do you live with them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)