Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Chores for 6y/o and under piog

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

What age is common to start giving little ones chores? I was reading a post about it and saw that many moms have 4 and 5 yr olds cleaning bathrooms, and vaccuuming, and helping clean kitchens, take out trash...etc... 

My DD is 5 and her only job is to pick up her toys. Am I too lenient? Is it more common to have young ones helping out around the house more? What are some chores your little ones do? How do you get them to do it, and whats appropriate for Kindergartners to do around the house?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
breebree04
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I would make mine clean their rooms and then just help pick up stuff through out the house. Sometimes they would help me dust or vaccuum but I didnt have them start helping with the bathroom or kitchen until they were alittle older because I always wanted to make sure them areas got cleaned good and disinfected.

cerainwondrland
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
My almost 2 year old helps me with chores. He hands me clothes to put in the washer, he throws clothes in the dryer and a dryer sheet, he cleans the lint trap and throws that away. He Carries his clean clothes to his room and puts them in a drawer.

He throws things away when asked

He puts his plate on the counter when he's done eating.

These aren't really chores I guess cuz he enjoys them too much lol. As he gets older he will get to help with more things and have some.independent tasks...I'm training him early haha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
My kids pick up their room, help put laundry away, pick up their corner of the living room and they like to help vacuum.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My son is 10. I always had him help around the house but never made it so he had chores. So now at 10 he is more responsible for his space than doing other work around the house.
He also likes to help with preparing meals.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

She is capable of helping to set the table... putting the napkins and silverware on the table.  Helping to get dirty clothes to the laundry room and helping to fold the simple things like underwear and sock and put her own clothes away in her dresser. She is also capable of helping tidy up.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

taking out the trash, helping put away dishes (childs' level), put dishes in dishwasher, setting the table, unsetting the table, making their beds, take out the trash, feed the animals, take the dogs for a walk and/or letting them out to run around in the back yard

steviechick
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

When my daughter was five she helped me dust and fold laundry.  She also helped me clear the table after dinner and put dishes in the dishwasher.  Easy chores like that was perfect for her age.  I think as a long as a child can do and understand a chore they should do them.  Also, at a young age it teaches them responsibility, cleaning-up after themselves and become less lazy as they got older. 

HyperMom38
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM

My DD is 5 right now.  She helps set the table, will put her dishes in the sink.  She likes to put laundry in the washer after I have it sorted and same with the dryer.  She really likes to vacuum and sweep and do dishes too.  She can put her toys away but that is the one chore she really hates to do.

HyperMom38
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Oh, she loves dusting too.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I disagree with heavy chores until they're older, but at 4 & 5 they want to be helpers, so its a good time to get them trained and In the habit for when its actually chore time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN