Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

free legal aid coming from abuse

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM
  • 14 Replies
There was a different post asking about free legal aid, and a commenter mentioned it's only available if you're leaving an abusive situation, which I am. How do I find this free legal representation? I am in GA if that helps. Thanks everyone!
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a06z08mama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Call your local DHS or Google GA legal Aid. It should pop up. And the state I am in it doesn't have to be just abusive. I have been in contact with an attorney from legal aid with questions about my foreclosure. So its not just abusive divorce situations.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM
WWW.georgialegalaid.org
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Google free legal aid and get in contact with a DV shelter in your area. They can offer lots of resources too.
Robsessed98
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Legal Aid is there for anyone who financially qualifies even if there's no abuse. Call and talk to them. If they can't help, contact DHS and see if there are other options.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM
In my state there is no legal aid at all for family court matters. They only are available if judge orders a GAL / Attorney to represent the child(ren) for custody only. Not for the parents or child support issues.
They used to have workshops to help fill out paperwork, but those are no longer there either with budget cuts.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Legal Aid is there for anyone who financially qualifies even if there's no abuse. Call and talk to them. If they can't help, contact DHS and see if there are other options.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM
legal aids resources are limited so even of you can proof abuse they may or may not help you. Also if your spouse gets accepted first they cannot help you. You can also call abuse /domestic violence organizations and see if they have any resources.
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I know for abuse, divorce, and cs here in IL you can get cheap or free legal aid. Not sure about GA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BambiEyes26
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, I'm from IL too and because of free legal aid, I was able to file for divorce. Because of the domestic violence issues....make sure you compile notes, police reports, anything and everything, because I brought all of that with me when the particular legal aid foundation decided whether or not to take my case.

Quoting Jenn8604:

I know for abuse, divorce, and cs here in IL you can get cheap or free legal aid. Not sure about GA.

Lucysmom1012
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Contact your local domestic violence shelter and also contact the county court house they usually have pro bono services.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Dv shelters are great resources

Quoting LauraMH:

Google free legal aid and get in contact with a DV shelter in your area. They can offer lots of resources too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)