Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Top secret child support?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 21 Replies
For several reasons having nothing to do with this post, I didn't get legal child support for dd1 until just a few weeks before she turned 18. I willingly agreed to settle for a flat amount that was only a fraction of the amount he would've been ordered to pay had we gone to court. Foolish? Absolutely, although at the time it was done for good reasons. That was 6 years and many payments ago. All this time his payments came like clockwork until the past 2 weeks when nothing came. I knew he's only paid half of what he owes, so I assumed he lost his job or couldn't pay. So I called CSED to find out why and was informed that they "intercepted funds on his behalf" and I would receive the balance owed by the end of the month. I was shocked because its a pretty big chunk of change. I asked her where it came from and she said "I will tell you it isn't his income taxes but that's all I'm allowed to disclose". So I asked her exactly how much the payment will be and she said she "cannot disclose the amount at this point" then reassured me I would get it all this month. WTF?? I can maybe understand why she can't tell me where it came from, but she can't even tell me how much its gonna be?? It's the balance owed, how the hell can that be top secret? How whacky is that? Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm super excited about getting the lump sum now because I really need it, but starting next month my income goes down several hundred dollars per month several years before expected and I'm on a shoestring budget already. Thats pretty damn scary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Sounds like money is coming to you right on time but I am curious where else can they get a large amount if not thru income taxes...does he own any property and maybe sold it off or came into some money had to report it in and they were able to garnish some of the funds?

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I'm stumped too. He has no relatives with money at all, so odds are it isn't an inheritance. The only other things I can come up with is he won the lottery or won a lawsuit. It's driving me batty not knowing! I'm probably gonna call and ask because we have stayed on good terms and he knows how nosy I am.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Sounds like money is coming to you right on time but I am curious where else can they get a large amount if not thru income taxes...does he own any property and maybe sold it off or came into some money had to report it in and they were able to garnish some of the funds?

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I am nosy too....so let us know ; )
Quoting Robsessed98:

I'm stumped too. He has no relatives with money at all, so odds are it isn't an inheritance. The only other things I can come up with is he won the lottery or won a lawsuit. It's driving me batty not knowing! I'm probably gonna call and ask because we have stayed on good terms and he knows how nosy I am.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Sounds like money is coming to you right on time but I am curious where else can they get a large amount if not thru income taxes...does he own any property and maybe sold it off or came into some money had to report it inĀ and they were able to garnish some of the funds?

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Oh wow. Keep us posted if find out. Could you talk to ex and ask him?
animebuddy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
He must have won a lawsuit or lottery. Id be happy to get that lump sum.
Musiq_Junkie
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

csed is so lame lol. at this point i cant stand them.but hey!at least you've got a good amount coming ur way :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

chocolate   from lots of lots of this? chocolatelol.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Did a family member die?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muwchck
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

wow, that's crazy.  I'd be calling him to see how he was able to pay it off like that.

KPBMom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I'm wondering if it's the opposite.  That there's a foreclosure or bankruptcy and the CS is mandated to be paid.  If I've read correctly, you're not getting more money next month, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN