Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

waving his rights?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone successfully had your ex sign away his rights and have a judge approve it?

My ex signed the paper, now I am just waiting for the hearing. I can't help but be nervous. My daughter will have to see my ex at the hearing. She is 3.5 and hasn't seen him since right before her 1st bday. I met him to get him to sign the paper. He looked SO scruffy. Like he was homeless or something. He stunck of cigarettes so bad. I think she is gonna be scared of him. I really hope it goes well.

Was hoping to hear some success stories.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

WIsh I had one. I am in the process right now of terminating rights. Good luck momma you are doing the right thing.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

no and never will, no matter how bad it may seem.

mocabluu
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I never needed a hearing. We arranged all the stipulations in an agreement and he signed it.took it to my lawyer and she sent it to the judge. Boom...done! Good luck!
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Are you remarried and is the child being adopted? If not then how is it in the kids best interest to leave her legally fatherless? Normally the courts will not do this unless extreme cases of abuse. Once rights are terminated, the tax payers may get stuck supporting the kid then the state has no recourse. Normally this does not happen. If the father does not have any visits why not leave it at that? If you are married and the kid is being adopted then the courts will normally approve.

AspensMama1537
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I am remarried. So it is a step parent adoption. Its felt like a long time waiting. In my state you have to be married a year before you can file for it.

Once the adoption goes thru I won't have any claim to the single mom title. Seems weird.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Are you remarried and is the child being adopted? If not then how is it in the kids best interest to leave her legally fatherless? Normally the courts will not do this unless extreme cases of abuse. Once rights are terminated, the tax payers may get stuck supporting the kid then the state has no recourse. Normally this does not happen. If the father does not have any visits why not leave it at that? If you are married and the kid is being adopted then the courts will normally approve.

IvoryIris
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

My ex has rights but he chooses not to see his girls.  He's become one big recluse and alienating himself from everyone.  Maybe it's for the best... things got really rough for us.  But, that's another story...

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Well if the little one is being adopted then that is great! Good luck.
Robsessed98
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I don't know anyone who voluntarily waived his rights, but I know a couple who had them terminated and it took a lot of evidence and time to get that to happen.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Why does your daughter have to go?
AspensMama1537
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM
The attorney said it would be best. I want to do every thing I can to make sure this goes thru.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Why does your daughter have to go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)