Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Understanding my 8 year old

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have an 8 year old son that also has ODD but is a very bright and smart child me and him are always clashing heads over every lil thing we use to have abound but it feels as though it flew away...:-( he is so mean to his 5 year old sister and 3 year old brother he bees mean all the time for no reason and lets every little thing bother him and he lashes out i have tried everything i could think of i tell him to ignore the little ones and tell me and open up to me please any advice i know his dad is not around but i take both roles its so hard single with tree just want to learn how to open up to my kids and ge along better with them instead of us all getting agree at each other all day long and in angry out rages thank you

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robsessed98
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Has he been evaluated and diagnosed ODD? Does he have any other issues? Ask his Dr to refer him to a behavioral therapist. They can help him learn how to control his behavior and teach you how to handle it and help him. It made a big difference with my dd, who also has ADHD, when she was diagnosed at your ds age. She was also treated with meds for the ADHD, but she took herself off them at 16 and has been controlling it herself for 6 years now. Her 4 & 5 yo sons were diagnosed with both disorders last month. They are both doing the behavioral therapy and the oldest is on meds. We can already see the improvement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

BUMP!

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM
DS1 has ADD/ADHD and ODD as well as impulsiveness. When his ADD/ADHD and impulsiveness are under control with his mess his ODd is much more manageable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jlyn1584
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

yes he has been to doctors and they did say he had ODD and now it is turning in to ADHD but i have been on med since i was 13 and i am now 29 still on them im affraid of him to be on any meds only being 8....makes me worried.....the main problem is he has so much anger and takes it out on everyone else and he wont talk to me about anything or how he feels i tell him i cant help him unless he tells me....:-(

its like he wont open up and talk to me he has been in therapy and everything idk he says he doesnt like it

jlyn1584
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

thanky you guys for giving me some options im going to try and see if  il lk to someone again now tha heis a little older

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)