Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Mom and dad

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 7 Replies
I am a single mom of a wonderful 2 1/2 year old. Her father chooses to not be in her life and she does not know him. I didn't give much thought to THAT conversation, but recently she has been saying she wants a daddy, we've been watching a lot of land before time. She asks where her daddy is, thinking she should have one. I was not planning on having this conversation at such a young age, how do I go about this??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Musiq_Junkie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
*bump* my dd just turned 1 so i know im no help. Hopefully someone else can help u :)
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

just be honest in an age approriate way. "he cant be here right now." dont sugar coat him either, none of thiz "daddy loves you" cuz you dont know if thats true.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome to the group.

Just say daddy isn't here.  When and if he ever shows up, you can then introduce her to him.  That's all

steviechick
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Always tell the truth to your kids.  A 2 1/2 yr old is a curious age.  With that comes a lot of questions and they just can't learn enough.  I would just tell your daughter that her daddy is somewhere else and it's just the two of you.  I agree don't sugar coat anything.  As she gets older she will adjust to her father being absent. 

tottaxi
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Maybe just tell her that there are all different types of families...some have moms AND dads, some have just moms and some have just dads...yours is of the "just mom" variety.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
At that age she won't get it. Don't lie to her or tell her he didn't want or love her though. Tell her sometimes daddys can't be with their kids for lots of reasons. She will understand more as she gets older.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I agree with this.  Don't make up lies or excuses but try your best to answer at an age/maturity appropriate level.  Hugs & good luck!

Quoting Robsessed98:

At that age she won't get it. Don't lie to her or tell her he didn't want or love her though. Tell her sometimes daddys can't be with their kids for lots of reasons. She will understand more as she gets older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)