Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know what to do and where to turn.

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am 20 years old and a mother of a beautiful 2 year old daughter. The father hasnt always been in the picture but has been for a while. We never had an offical custody agreement i just let her go to his house on the weekends and stuff. One sunday when it was time for her to come home he called me and told me that she wasnt gonna be coming home that he had filed for custody of her and she will be stayin with him and his family untill the court date. He told me the only way i can see her is if i come to his house and thats only when he allows it. Its been a little over a month now and its really gettin at me. Please tell me someone knows something i can do to change this!

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dom3269
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg!! i am so sorry thats happenning to you. What a cruel thing to do. I dont really know a whole lot except to say that theres really nothing you can do until your court date. Gather ALL of ur info now - show how you've provided for her for the past two years, any proof that shows he wasnt really around..GET AN ATTORNEY ASAP! you will def neex one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittney021393
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I was tryin to look up like information on what to expect ya know to take notes a stuff but of course its really hard to find anything about it

greeniemommy
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

where u ad no court order in play he had all rights to do that and now you have to prove him unfit to get her back

Mom2CMW
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Oh hunni....i can't even imagine...so sorry!!! I don't have any advice just support.

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Can you go to the house for a visit and then just pick her up and walk out the door??? I don't know of that's possible to do but I would try it.
Also, do u have an attorney yet? They can file an emergency custody order to get her back to you. I think it's called an Ex Parte but I could be totally off. I had to file one and it was pretty quick. Plus unless her can prove you unfit, it will look really bad on him in court that he has been keeping her from you and he may have screwed himself over. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Just stay strong and do whatever you can to get your baby back.
breebree04
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Thats horrible that he did that to you! I would get a lawyer asap, maybe they can do something for you so you can get your dd back before court. Other than that I think you pretty much have to wait until your court date but Im not sure, never been in that situation. I would do whatever I could to get her back though. Like a previous poster said, maybe go over there for a visit and just walk out with dd. Have a friend, brother, dad, someone like that show up over there about 10 mins after you get there so you have some support if he tries anything. He can call the cops but Im pretty sure they wont do anything since there is no custody agreement

easinpc
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Have you talked to an attorney or filed anything in court yet??

steviechick
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Get an atty ASAP.  Your ex has simply kidnapped his own child.  The cops can't get involved until you have an official court document saying the ex has to hand over the child.  Even though there was never a custody agreement, your ex has no legal authority to be able to keep the child.  If he can prove you are unfit (in court) which I'm sure you are not, he has no legal right to keep your child.  He actually screwed himself by keeping the child.  He has no legal right to do so.  Some idiot must have told him to do this.  I'm sure your atty will agree with me in this matter.  My heart goes out to you.  I'm sure you are missing your child and hoping he is okay. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Have you ever been served? Unless he did an emergency hearing he does not have custody and is going to make it look like you abandoned your child. Get an attorney.
And this is why I always recommend a custody agreement when parents aren't married. Even if they get along great. CO protects both parties rights. I hope you can get her back and get it straightened out

Quoting brittney021393:

I am 20 years old and a mother of a beautiful 2 year old daughter. The father hasnt always been in the picture but has been for a while. We never had an offical custody agreement i just let her go to his house on the weekends and stuff. One sunday when it was time for her to come home he called me and told me that she wasnt gonna be coming home that he had filed for custody of her and she will be stayin with him and his family untill the court date. He told me the only way i can see her is if i come to his house and thats only when he allows it. Its been a little over a month now and its really gettin at me. Please tell me someone knows something i can do to change this!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Is his name on the bc? If not and there's nothing to show he's the bd, that's kidnapping. If he is the legal father, all you can do is go to court and get custody and visitation worked out. That's exactly why I tell everyone to file for custody as soon as the baby is born.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)