Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How was your 1st Child Support Appearance in Court? Nervous? Pissed? Disapointed?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 25 Replies

Happy Friday Ladies,

I want to know what was your first child Support experience like when you first went to court or even the second time??

My girlfriend said her Ex LIED and LIED to the judge and she was in a state of shock. 

How long for the 1st court date? (4 weeks, 5 weeks?)

What does the judge say to you both? Who does he allow to speak first?

How long was your entire child support process? 2months, 3 or 6 months?

Did you have to deal with Your Ex's girlfriend/baby momma/wife as a witness for him? how did that go?

Any Cafe moms dealt with a judge that was more lenient to the father? 

Did you win or lose? Any Cafe Mom's out there lost t a child support or custody battle? and why?

Any tips or feedback that you received from the judge/magistrate that helped your case? (ex my girlfriend told me that the judge  liked that she had two jobs to support her kids because ex wasn't helping-a plus for her)

Thanks ladies and enjoy the weekend!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no experience.

My ex just agreed since I provide our son with a home, provide, medical, dental, vision care, give him more of my time, and everything else,  I should have legal sole and physical custody of our son and he would pay for our son's after school expense.

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily I didnt have to go to court.  We did everything ourselves because neither of us could afford a lawyer.  We used the state calculator to determine CS and just turned it all in and that was it. I had to sign an affadavit that said he had been paying me even before we filed the paperwork so that he wouldnt be in arrears right away. 

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Mine was all figured out during my divorce. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I've had no experience good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Toshi92
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Thank you ladies for the well wishes and your experiences! 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I don't remember everything.

1st court date - was divorce and custody issues - how long had to wait don't remember.

My attorney stood up for me.  The defendent

Child support ran as long as there was a custody hearing - so five years or better

the father's g/f  wife  is in court most times at his side at the podium stand.  The judge saw two parents against one parent.

Judges all lenent to the father - but i think there was reason for it

lost the children - but didn't have to pay c/s after he alienated the kids from me every way possible.

Everything I was told to do, I felt would help, but in the end diidn't do anything to help me win back the kids in my care. 

dom3269
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Why did the judge take the kids away from you? Were you unfit?

Quoting brieri:

I don't remember everything.

1st court date - was divorce and custody issues - how long had to wait don't remember.

My attorney stood up for me.  The defendent

Child support ran as long as there was a custody hearing - so five years or better

the father's g/f  wife  is in court most times at his side at the podium stand.  The judge saw two parents against one parent.

Judges all lenent to the father - but i think there was reason for it

lost the children - but didn't have to pay c/s after he alienated the kids from me every way possible.

Everything I was told to do, I felt would help, but in the end diidn't do anything to help me win back the kids in my care. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
camommy08
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry have no experience. I went through the local child support agency and they did everything. I fill all the paperwork they sent. Sent stuff to the ex (it took awhile for him to do his....there were issues with that and I half think the girl he was with had something to do with that) well finally the ex sent the paperwork. and than all of awhie later I got a letter saying I was award a whooping 50 something in chid support a month and he has to get insurance. And he had back pay for the past year it took from when I first filed and than was given the paper saying I was awarded child support. He wasnt reallyworking at the time but once he did get a jo bam they were taking money out of his paycheck. I didnt tell them he had a job and I dont know if he did or how it all happened. So we never met in front of a judge. Hope everything works out

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Nope, not unfit.  I was going under some treatment testing.   When it was his night to have visitation, the kids were in the care of another adult at the time and he asked where I was.  He was angry becuse I did not ask him to take care of the kds - I did not know at the time how long it was going to last ,as it was an emergency situation.  He did not live in the kids school district and there was no way he would get them to school or even to pick them up at a reasonable time.  So as soon as he found out I was out of my treatment testing, he takes me to court as an ex-parte asking for the kid to be in his care - it was agreed upon that he can have them on a temporary basis - but he drew it into a long custody battle for 5 years. 

Quoting dom3269:

Why did the judge take the kids away from you? Were you unfit?

kitcal78
by Gigi on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Well I filled for a court in October of 2012 got my court date for January 28, 2013.  One month before my lo's 1st born day.  His father was a complete jerk.  He wouldn't sit near us and wouldn't even hold his son.  I had my mom and son come with me to court.  In case I needed my mom as a witness.  She was caring for my son at the time.  He pulled me to make note that I lied about not taking him to court.  Bla, bla, bla his word is is bond.  Bla, bla, bla mine isn't because we are at court, 

I had to remind him this wouldn't have even came about if he had helped out with $.  He mad it clear he wasn't going to take part in raising his son.  I had a problem with it for a while.  I had to let that go.  On top of all that when I filled for C.S. I found out he had 4 kids.  Adding my son makes 5 total children for this man.  All the while we were dating he lied and told me he had one child. 

When we went in front of the judge he went over everything.  The judge didn't set up visitations because Alexander was so young.  Judge told us to handle between each other.  The judge went over both of our income information.  While he is reading over his stuff he reads off his other c.s. orders.  The birth dates and 1st names of his other chidlren.  While he is reading that I discovered one of his kids was born 3 months before we started dating.

He was paying support for the mother of his twins other child that was not his.  He might be still paying for all three of her kids and one was not his.  I was summed up to $125 a week from him.  $10 of which was added on for back child support..

He has to add the lo onto his health insurance.  Which he has failed to do.  I pray for my son's father every night.  He will need it.  We have join custody but I have physical custody.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)