Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Ex Thinks Im Being Unfair **The Whole Story**

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM
  • 84 Replies
Ok so I'm planning my sons baptism an all expenses.. my family is also helping me with alot of as well. My ex wants him an his family to go to the celebration after the ceremony. I don't have a problem with all of them coming but i told him in order for them to get invited he has to pay half the expenses. He got all mad an started yelling that i was unfair an selfish an total b*tch because of it. I feel its that he's his son too an if his family wants to come eat an dance at the celebration its only fair that he pays for half it. Why should my family an i put soo much planning an money into this just so he an his family could come an have free food music an drinks without helping out with anything. And if doesn't want to pay for half then well im sorry they are unwelcome.
So am i being unfair? Or reasonable?

**The Whole Story**
When our son was first born my ex ( my husband at the time) that i wanted to baptize our baby. His words were: Fine with me you be in charge of the planning an ill worry about the money. That was all good an dandy for me made me happy. When we split up i told him i still want to Baptise him an if he will still be willing to help. His words were: You can if you want i don't find it important, non of my family is baptized an were all doing just fine, y should i want to invest in something i don't think is important to me nor my family.
So i said: OK that's fine but I'm going to because to me it is important an means alot for me an just the way i was raised. So i start planning for my 47 guests that im having an we're Hispanic an in our culture we are always close with our extended family. Us Mexicans tend to have a big family :)
Anyway so i plan for my family an me. Buying only what i need to buy. I made the invitation myself, i got my cousins making decor, i got my aunts who will be making food, my cousin who is dj will do it for free for me :), got my uncles lending their trucks to haul in tables an chairs, so all is going pretty great...but when my ex came to pick up our son for the day he asked me if he could take our son with him to his family reunion (the day before our baptism) it was fine i had no problem...I blurted out: oh wow that's the day before he gets baptized . Well i guess he told his family an when he came to drop off our son he said: So my family wants to go to his Baptist since they're all goin to be down that weekend.
That is when i got little ticked off an asked him to pay for half since his contains an estimate of 30 ppl. So there's the story
Like come on :/
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soulofsunmama
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Very unreasonable.
This is *your* plan, not his, and you planned, knew, and expected to pay for it.
He's the father of course he should come, and unless your asking the same thing from EVERY single guest, I would back off and gracefully keep your mouth shut.
Jmho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
honey27
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I would just invite the father then and his family doesn't have to be there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wildhorses420
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
8 moms liked this

He's the father he should WANT to help pay for this event for his child. 

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Speechless really. Now, I can totally understand why he's now an X.

mumii17
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I told him he could have his own little celebration with his family the next day or at least pay for the extra mouths he wants to have there...i was a stay home mom so i don't have alot of money to off with n besides the fact that he still owes me money but every time i see him which he claims he doesn't have but whenever i see him he either has a new clothes an shoes or a new tat! Like really...
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Since he is not paying for anything, which is really lame, I would tel him he is welcome but he needs to chip in for festivities if he wants to bring his family.

mumii17
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes *my* plan not his so i should invite who i want not him. As the father only he can come.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Very unreasonable.

This is *your* plan, not his, and you planned, knew, and expected to pay for it.

He's the father of course he should come, and unless your asking the same thing from EVERY single guest, I would back off and gracefully keep your mouth shut.

Jmho

JessLin79
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting mumii17:

I agree with you. You planned it and are paying for it so you should invite who you want. If he wants his family there, he can chip in for all the extra food. If he doesn't want to, then he shouldn't be able to invite people YOU have to pay for.
mumii17
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Yes thank you :)

Quoting JessLin79:

Quoting mumii17:

I agree with you. You planned it and are paying for it so you should invite who you want. If he wants his family there, he can chip in for all the extra food. If he doesn't want to, then he shouldn't be able to invite people YOU have to pay for.

KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM
6 moms liked this
I WOULDN'T INVITE HIM AT ALL ..HE WONT'S TO ACT LIKE A DICK..TREAT HIM LIKE ONE.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)