Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you handle everyday stress if raising your kid(s) alone?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm writing an article on single mom stress management and would like to know how you handle everyday stress. What advice would you give a new single mom?

Thanks
Samantha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom5150
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I don't very well. I get my mom to watch them after they are asleep and go out for a few hours. My time alone consists of laundry and grocery shopping and cleaning, so it's hard.
delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I get stressed and I let it ride out. DD gets angry as well. She will go into her room and scream her head off. Then come out say sorry and everything is fine. Stress is a part of life. Also when I can sit at night and know I did my best for her it makes it worth it. Hope that helps.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Delila12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Taking him outside. Both of us get fresh air and sometimes it's relaxing, but it's a pain trying to get him back in.

Read a book while he's sleeping, or do my nails and hair. Basically spend his nap time, and bedtime doing things for me.

happylife123
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I find something calming for all of us to do together

KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Wednesday at 10:56 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
i take it day by day .. moment by moment ..breath by breath..
brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I woud take my kids to the park and or to the pool for some destressng time - I had them in swimming lessons it was a time that I could take some time to myself to read a book or watch them swim.  On the off days of there lessons, I would take them to the pool for some refreshing times to get outside. 

thesj180herself
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Honestly, if I didn't have my BF, I don't know how I would do it...he's not my daughter's father, but he's definitely stepped into that role and is always more than willing to help me when I'm stressed.

That said, he's only been in our lives for almost a year, and my daughter just turned 3. There are times when he's not here, and it is just my DD and me. When she has temper tantrums, I've learned to sing to her, or try to find something that will make her laugh, like a funny face or sound. What's working momentarily (she is three, after all) is playing music with her. I play my guitar and she "plays along" with either her ukelele or piano.

But, mostly, it depends on the circumstances...

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

being apart during the day helps us...he is in school or camp and I am at work.

lauraash06
by Ashley on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
A glass of cranberry juice and vodka while I'm making dinner does wonders lol.....for me.. Being a single mom was my own decision. I chose to leave my ex husband. I chose to keep my son when i got pregnant a month after i moved out by someone different. Those were my choices....and I'm ok with going to sleep alone at5 night knowing i did what i felt was best for me, in my heart...... I'm lucky i have good kiddos. So the hardest party for me is financial. I wouldn't trade the lessons I've learned for anything. Best advice in my opinion is to be ok with accepting help in any way.
baseballmom5416
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

ive veen a single mom since my kids was 4 and 6..they are now 14 and 17..when they were little what helped with my stress is when my son had baseball practice.i got to see other parents and just talk..and me and my neice who is 2 years older than me.we would go out and eat lunch during the week sometimes or on the weekends when the kids was with their dad..and we also went christmas shopping together..now that my kids are 14 and 17..my daughter goes to friends house for the weekend.and my son goes to his girlfriends house for the day and spend time with her..and i stay home..i know i need a new life..lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)