Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your kids to help around your house?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have an 8 year old and an almost 5 year old (she'll be 5 in June) and I can't seem to get them motivated to help me with things at home. I have tried offering them money for doing "extra chores" but they don't seem to care. I know that my sister living in my basement (she's 23) doesn't help my situation much because she doesn't think she has to help either. She's never really been forced to clean up after herself and no matter how much fighting we have or what I try to do, she leaves "a trail behind her" that I end up cleaning up because I don't want my house to be a mess. Anyone have any suggestions on getting my girls motivated to help???

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Have a family meeting. Assign duties to everyone and everyone is responsible for their duties. Keep reminding everyone everyday what they have to do, and hopefully it will become a habit after a few weeks or months.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Makei it fun by playing a game.   Make a chore chart of the things they are to do each day/week.  For every chore they accomplish give them a sticker to put on chart for that chore for the day, when accomplish (say five days of chores - tell them that you will take them out to get an icecream or at the end of the month if stickers are on all 20 of the 30/31 days you wil take them to the movies of there choice.

Have them make their own bed  show them how its made,  then let them do it on their own  Dont expect themto be as neat as you want it to be, it's practice nd practice everyday bcomes normal and they make it perfect.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
This is how I got mine to do it. Worked great until they became teens. That's when it kinda fell apart.

Quoting brieri:

Makei it fun by playing a game.   Make a chore chart of the things they are to do each day/week.  For every chore they accomplish give them a sticker to put on chart for that chore for the day, when accomplish (say five days of chores - tell them that you will take them out to get an icecream or at the end of the month if stickers are on all 20 of the 30/31 days you wil take them to the movies of there choice.

Have them make their own bed  show them how its made,  then let them do it on their own  Dont expect themto be as neat as you want it to be, it's practice nd practice everyday bcomes normal and they make it perfect.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My daughter now 12 started doing chores when she was 9...she vacuums, irons her jeans, sorts her laundry and washes dishes... I told her if she wants allowance she has to do something around the house...because mommy gets paid because she works as a nurse...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)