Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Florida Works Program

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Does anyone know how the Florida Welfare to Work Program works for moms trying to go back to school?  I overheard a convoa few weeks back on the bus, there were 2 single dad's talking about how there is some kind of grant or something that the government gives you at the beginning of each semester for living expenses and whatever else equal to what you would be eligible for from TAP. (it is NOT TAP and comes from the federal welfare program). They were saying the max amount on TAP is something like $4750, so that is given in 2 payments, about $2400 each....I have tried to look into this but only come up with WORK requirements of PA recipients and the drug testing part of it...can't find anything on furthereducation or trade skills education....I would love to get a skill or trade, but refuse to do anything that puts me in $1000's of debt from student loans......and with the economy the way it is....I just would rather not have any debt from S.L's....from the sound of their convo I am thinking that you still get benefits (f.s. & MA) while going to school, just do not incur any debts from loans and the like...

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like the program we have in Virginia that gets people off of public assistance. One requirement is the person has to be receiving Tanf.

Contact your local department of family services to see how the program works there.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
OK has a program similar to that, but I never used it so don't know the details. Contact your local DHS and they can tell you about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I have left a few vm's since I heard about it and even tried finding info online,  but to no success....the call center says they have at least 30 days to return your call.....

steviechick
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Instead of calling go down to your local county DHS.  You will actually have an answer by the time you leave their office.  I live in KY and know nothing of this program.  I would think it's all over the country and just not in FL.

flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Since the hurricanes of '04, here in my county they have closed the sites due to structural damage and everything is done online....there is the one-stop career center, but I was told that is for employment services......just trying to find out if any mom's on here know anything about it...

Quotingsteviechick:

Instead of calling go down to your local county DHS.  You will actually have an answer by the time you leave their office.  I live in KY and know nothing of this program.  I would think it's all over the country and just not in FL.

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

Musiq_Junkie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Sounds kinda like the one here in NM. its called the education works program. But its like a monthly stipend here. U have to be a full time students & turn in a copy of ur grades at the end of each semester. The amount u get depends on the # of ppl in ur household & if u have childcare assistance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Sorry that noone on the group so far is in your area and can give you more information.

Since everything is done online maybe you can apply online for services, than get go from there.

You will either have a telephone appointment where you can than ask more questions or you will be denied and given a number to call to hopefully talk to someone about it.

This may be better than waiting for almost 30 days for someone to call you back.

Quoting flprincessmom:

Since the hurricanes of '04, here in my county they have closed the sites due to structural damage and everything is done online....there is the one-stop career center, but I was told that is for employment services......just trying to find out if any mom's on here know anything about it...

Quotingsteviechick:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)