Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co parent is mad about financial supporting our son

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am new to this blog. I recently got a called from child support to do an intake and me and my Co parent share joint custody. We work effectively to raise our son but when it comes to finances I pay for a majority of our son s expenses. I wanted to know if you can receive child support if you have joint custody visit?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Yes, if you spend most of the expense's on your Ds.
curly287
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I pay for almost all of my daughters expenses and I pay child support. My ex husband has not worked in about 4 years now...he filed for welfare and the county went after me for support. I don't pay as much as they wanted me to because I saved all of my receipts and documented all the expenses including child care. Be careful...it could come back to haunt you!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Here's a bump for you! 

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

You can but it is based on income. If your income is the same and he has 50% parenting time he may not have to pay anything. It really all depends on the state guidelines. If he makes more than you, and he covers the kid on insurance he may receive a credit for that and again may not owe much. all the state guidelines are different. Expenses is a loose term. all the guielines really care  about is income, day care expense if there is any and who is covering the child on health insurance.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Curly who actually has custody?? It totaly sucks he is  loser and filed for welfare. Why doesnt he work? It sucks that is almost all cases the state is going to go after the other parent for support. He should not be given welfare he should be told to get a job and if he has to depend on tax payers then he should not have custody of the kid. Same goes for moms too. I hate public assistance.

Quoting curly287:

I pay for almost all of my daughters expenses and I pay child support. My ex husband has not worked in about 4 years now...he filed for welfare and the county went after me for support. I don't pay as much as they wanted me to because I saved all of my receipts and documented all the expenses including child care. Be careful...it could come back to haunt you!

tottaxi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Your usage of the phrase "me and my Co parent share joint custody" is unusual.

Is your custody arrangement court ordered?  Joint custody...is that physical custody or legal custody?  Or both?  Is there a CP?  Joint custody visitation is also an odd statement.  Visitation is visitation whether it is joint or sole custody.

Can you explain your situation more clearly so that we can figure out the proper response to give you?

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

chickwelcome to the group.

Yes you can, it's prorated how much time he will be allowed to see him.  It's also different for every case.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I've had joint custody for 14 years and he's always had to pay support.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My sons father and I have joint custody and both make about the same amount so neither of us pay child support.

jenmomx3
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Yes.  Joint custody is usually not 50/50, its more like 60/40 or something like that.  One parent is going to have the majority anyway that you look at it, so yes, you can collect child support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)