Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single friends still clubbin'

Posted by   + Show Post

I feel like I'm having a hard time fitting in with my single girlfriends now that I am no longer married.  I am dating/have a boyfriend but I do like to get together with girlfriends every now and then.  That is something I neglected big time when I was married so I am making it a goal to do better in this area.

My good girlfriend likes to attend happy hour at a local bar/club every Friday.  Whenever I am available, this is what she does/suggests.  I have went a few times but it's not really my scene.  She also will suggest the local clubbin' type events that happen in our city, i.e. radio station anniversary parties, local promoter parties, etc.  I don't mind a good dance at the club maybe once or twice a year, but the free days I get with her or a few other of my friends I don't want to spend in the club.

Do I just forgo this time with them, insist on other events or try and find new friends?

Navi

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (11-15):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Maybe do both?  Suggest new things but also look for new friends that have similar interests with you now. 

MamaHens3
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

If you've suggested things, and their turning them down. Not able to do other things, maybe just do lunch with them for catch up time. You for sure sound like you out grew them, you can still be their friend but find new ones also. with common interest, a single parent and dating someone or not. You can go out, but if that's not your scene. Don't force yourself to do it, compromising or not don't make yourself uncomfortable. 

I didn't have a social life with my XDH while with him 9 yrs, even after our split when I got one. I never went out still to clubs, or bars and was still a mom so I didn't have much spare money still lol. I did things at home, or went to friends houses if I did. I have gone out to bars, a few times in the past yr yet nothing to be serious. I liked it a little, but not my thing and at most had fun with my two friends who went with me. I didn't even notice the people too much, and add drinking I was blur around me lol. I have more friends who are mom's, single or married and I find things to do with them. 

KRIZZ25
watch out who ur talking to ..wolves come in many coats ,colors,
54 minutes ago
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
IF IT ANT UR THING DOT GO..I DON'T LIKE BARS OR CLUB ..I GET BAD HEAD ACK WTH TO MUCH NORSE
mamer12812
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

suggest other things to do and if they dont like it or just blow you off then its time to find some new friends that like to do the samethings you like.

Ali32
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a friend like that who I was friends with for 20 years. I had my daughter and needed to take care of her, couldn't/didn't want to always go to the club. I would suggest doing different things with her; dinner, movie, things with the kids,etc and she didn't want to do them, always found an excuse. We have since parted ways. Having friends is hard. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)