Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

4 y/o always wants to play and have my attention

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello mamas,

my 4 year old always wants me to play with her and wants my attention all the time.  It has become worse now that she has a newborn sister.  I feel terrible bc I feel like I can't give her the attention and play time she wants.  I try to play with her for a few minutes every other hour but I am so tired that I just want to sleep or I have to do chores.  How do you all do it with more than one child?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask your daughter to help you with yoiur chores - or help you with cooking dinner every evening.

Maryloe
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I would have her help you out with the new baby. Have her bring the diaper to you, so she feels involve and included. Do not feel afraid to ask for help from family and friends. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Like the other ladies said let her help! The laundry may not be folded perfectly or the dishes may need an extra rinse but she will be happy to help make games out of it look up busy bags too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM
can u get grandma to take her once a week for the day to spend extra time wth her.
Robsessed98
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
4 y/os do like being stuck up your ass a lot, especially when they are competing for their mommy. Include her in taking care of the baby and let her know how you couldn't do iti without her. Play alone with her as much as possible and have someone keep the baby a couple hours a week or so for mommy/daughter dates doing something she likes to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maviloria
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Thank you ladies for all the great suggestions.  I've tried asking her to help with chores and she loves being my big helper ... Now if I can only get her to listen lol

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

its normal. they get clingy and jealous when another baby comes along.

i would make sure to still give her one on one attention but also teach her to entertain herself. personally (this sounds terrible) lol i hated "playing" and did it as little as possible.

reassure her that she is still "your baby" even though she has a little sister/bro. but that she is a big girl and she can do THIS and the baby cant! (run, play, ride bike)

include her in easy chores for the baby so she feels involved too. get the diaper for a change, etc.

libramoon007
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Mine too. She thinks I am a little girl too. She is getting better about playing by herself though. 

Maviloria
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Hi faerie75,

i feel the same way about playing with my daughter...sometimes I'm so tired with all the ten million things I have to do that I have no energy or motivation to play with her lol.  It almost feels like another chore.  

,Quoting faerie75:

its normal. they get clingy and jealous when another baby comes along.

i would make sure to still give her one on one attention but also teach her to entertain herself. personally (this sounds terrible) lol i hated "playing" and did it as little as possible.

reassure her that she is still "your baby" even though she has a little sister/bro. but that she is a big girl and she can do THIS and the baby cant! (run, play, ride bike)

include her in easy chores for the baby so she feels involved too. get the diaper for a change, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)