Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

When can kids decide?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 37 Replies
My kids, ages 11 & 9 see their dad once a week for dinner and then he has them for 24 hours every other weekend. hes only been seeing them like this for less than a year. He had supervised visitation before that. Now hes asking for the kids from friday to sunday night. I asked the kids and they absolutely do not want to go. Another issue is that hes remarried and has another kid with whom they don't really get along with. Anyway, what am I supposed to do? He wants me to force them to go. When can they decide?
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildhorses420
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Imo they can decide now. But that may not be what the law in your area dictates. Around here I think the law says 14 but not sure.

mykidsmom86
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I should have mentioned im in ny
AleaKat
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I've always heard something like 13 but of course it could be different in your state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
In ca there is no age they can decide. However a judge can speak to child directly at age 12
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
There is NO age a child can decide if they want to visit. At around 12-13 years old a judge will take into consideration what the child wants, within reason. But, the final decision is up to th judge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matty1966
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Unless there is a court order stating when he can have them let him drag you to court! Most dads won't......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Take it back to court if you two cannot work it out amiciablly.  He'll most likely get them, no matter what the kids say

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

For thoseof you that say a jUdge will see the kids, how many kids have you seen in court - I see them on Tv only.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Actually the law in CA changed 2 years ago... judges will speak to children 12+ directly if the child requests to. And the judge told my ex he will speak to our kids directly if it kept being dragged out.

Quoting brieri:

For thoseof you that say a jUdge will see the kids, how many kids have you seen in court - I see them on Tv only.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rileysmom76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Don't force them because that will only make them resent you later on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN