Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Another Friday night spent home...when did you regain your social life

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm a new single mom of my six week old baby boy. I am absolutely in love and wouldn't trade him or my new position in life for anything but...i'm starting to go a little crazy being in the house 24/7. Now this is not recent, i have been pretty much home bound if i wasn't at work throughout this pregnancy as having this baby meant changing my life around and i've let alot of people go that were in my life. I have one best friend and a few acquaintances left, so i also struggle with loneliness. I plan on going back to work in another month and go to school part time in the summer so i will be around people socially but just wondering when and how did you guys manage to maintain a balance as single mom and having and maintaining a social life 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ali32
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Its difficult. I work full time and am a single mom. Honestly? I don't do much without my child. If she can't come with me somewhere, I usually don't go. I have had friends watch her occasionally or taken her to one of those drop in child care places when I really want to go somewhere but it isn't often. 

mabel009
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM

that sounds very tough. do you have family members close by that wouldn't mind watching her so you can have a night to yourself? I had to move back to my parents house until i can get myself back on my feet so in terms of having people to watch him im alright, its just finding people to go out with. Im starting to have very little in common wit my friends as we have totally different lives...

Quoting Ali32:

Its difficult. I work full time and am a single mom. Honestly? I don't do much without my child. If she can't come with me somewhere, I usually don't go. I have had friends watch her occasionally or taken her to one of those drop in child care places when I really want to go somewhere but it isn't often. 

Ali32
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Its doable. I've been doing it for almost 5 years and I'm used to it. If I do go out, its only for a few hours and never really like out to a club or bar because that's kind of late to ask a friend/family to watch her and the drop in places close kind of early. I have found a local mom's group that we do stuff with but most of those women are married so I don't have a lot in common with them. 

cnkmama
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
My.oldest will be 4 and my social life sucks. I guess it depends on if u have ppl to watch ur kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mabel009
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

yea i tried joining my local pregnancy group meet up but it was a lot of married woman too and i felt awkward being the youngest and single 

Quoting Ali32:

Its doable. I've been doing it for almost 5 years and I'm used to it. If I do go out, its only for a few hours and never really like out to a club or bar because that's kind of late to ask a friend/family to watch her and the drop in places close kind of early. I have found a local mom's group that we do stuff with but most of those women are married so I don't have a lot in common with them. 

Serenitymom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Social life? What's that! Lol, I'm 25 with three kids, and single mom... My mom moved out of state and my dad moved out of the country (military). My family is kinda scattered, but where I'm at now, I dont know anyone. The only time I get me time is days that I have test and I wind up getting out early for class. Then I might get an hour or two, but I dont have anyone to spend it with because I'm so busy. I've decided to make any down time, time to reflect on my creativity. I'm learning about graphic design so I look up tutorials and such. Internet is a great resource of information, you can learn a lot. Also on my downtime, I chat with friends online, crochet, or school work.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
This is what it is for me too. Life changes when a child comes and we are alone to take care of our child.
Quoting Ali32:

mytrueloveS
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have a social life until my son was 4.  That's when I finished my school and it made things much easier.  School and work will keep you very busy, you won't have time for anything.  You will hardly see your son.  

isabellamarley
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It's hard being home all the time. It wasn't till my daughter was almost 2 that I started going out with friends. I felt more comfortable leaving her with people at that point. But honestly I don't do any partying. I just started dating.. it takes time. That's part of being a mom. You have to give up a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
labrax
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say that, you should love your kid with your life but also make time for yourself cos you need to be sane to give your kid the best of yourself.

Since you live with your family, it would be easier for you to de-stress with suitable friends while your family minds your kid. However, know that you can't hang out with just about anyone. Hang out with responsible friends who might help keep you grounded and focused. Enjoy your youth! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN