Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mr. Attitude

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm a single mother for 6 years now and let say being a single mother is hard! My sons father lives in MI and I live in IL so my son only sees his father on the holidays or summer break. Getting to the point.. When my 10 yr old son gets in trouble I start taking away his things. But lately he's been giving a bad attitude and when I punish him I feel like he hates me. He won't talk to me and he stays mad at me for almost the whole day. I feel so bad and sometimes I go up to him and hug and kiss him to remind him I still love him. I don't know what to do :/ it's so hard not having a father figure around to help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ImaSoulMom
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww. Don't be too hard on yourself. Kids go through rebellious phases. It sounds like you are doing the best you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Don't give in to a 10 year old.  He's mad and will get over it.  Give him time to calm down.  That's the way I am with everyone, including my mother.  

jcar30
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Thanks! It's just hard sometimes I don't know if I should just act like a mother or a father when it comes to discipline.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

He sounds like a pretty typical pre-teen to me.  It sounds like you're doing a great job.

newlife2013
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:39 AM

hang in there, it is very hard as a single mom, my 8 year old behaves that way and the therapist tells me he is playing me, he knows that if he makes me feel guilty, including asking me 'don't you love me' hurts me into ending his punishment...I now reverse it and if he wants something back he has to behave and if it comes up I tell him my love for him has nothing to do with punishing him...just love him and let him know he's the best person in the world, he's still your little guy.

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Have you considered therapy for yourself and your child? Sometimes it's good to have someone for him to talk too. Good luck.

LilShamrock
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Hang in there!

We're all right there with you...let him stomp and pout! He'll get over it soon enough 'cus he knows you do love him.

You're teaching him the valuable lessons in life...
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
This. It has nothing to do with male role model or not.... it has to do with pushing boundaries and testing you. It gets worse before it gets better :)
ETA: my boys are 18&16... I have been single mom since they were 18 months and 6 months old. They are great young adults now.

Quoting amonkeymom:

He sounds like a pretty typical pre-teen to me.  It sounds like you're doing a great job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)