Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms
Life has certainly kept me busy and now with the purchase of the house, I'm feeling much angst over whether or not I'm getting in over my head as I know that I'll be paying back my school loans as well....

I had the idea to get a roommate and split the costs at the house..I was thinking another single mom...

Gals, what are your ideas on this? Can you see the positives associated with? The negatives?

Happy Easter!

Sham
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (11-13):
MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Ok that takes me out of the running, I'm in MD.

Quoting LilShamrock:

Mommy,

I'm in Central Pa.

Thanks gals...
Sham

Quoting MommyAJ2921:

I might be interested..where do you live??

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a roommate is a good idea as long as you know you can trust her with your child and the children get along well. The rules regarding parenting styles and what is and isn't acceptable treatment of each other's kids need to be laid out and agreed on before moving in. My then 13 y/o dd and I moved in with one of my oldest friends after her husband died because she didn't want to live alone. It ended up being a very long and stressful year that ultimately ended our friendship. Just be very selective with who moves in and make sure your lifestyles mesh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend that was going through health and financial problems in her life shortly after I divorced from my ex.  I have a big house (4 bdr).   She didnt' exactly come out and ask me if she could move in, but she did say many times how fun it would be if she and I lived together.  I would never loan a friend money.  That would also mean the same thing - loaning her a place to live.  Since she has money problems and health issues the preclude her from working full-time (a lot), I had to tell her that I was putting my house up on the market soon.  Well, that wasn't a fib.  I am doing just that.  I want to keep her as a friend.  If she moved in with me she would have the same issues as she does now.  I can't deal with that AND deal with getting over  a divorce.  She has since moved in with her ex-bf - someeone she kicked out of her apt twice already AND he's a deadbeat from time to time. 

I would reconsider asking someone to live with you unless you know they can pay the rent and be roommates.  That would include kids and all the drama associated with her life.  Not everyone can get along with others.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN