Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

could be a good thing...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

so i have been talking to my ex...he knows my living situation is very strained living w/ my mother...he has offered to let me and the kids move back in the house and pay rent and utlities...not a bad deal but since im not working its a lot of money...i think i can possibly do it but i would really have to budget which is fine...the kids would be happier bc they would be at their old school w/ their old friends and in their old house that they grew up in...things would be good but since me and my ex dont really get along that worries me that he could come over whenever he wanted bc he owns the house...i am trying to think of things to ask him like if he'll pay for repairs if things break or whatever but anything else i should think of asking him? i havent rented before so i dont know what to think of asking him...

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

confusedNo answers. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

If you do make sure to create a lease that lists what is taken care of, what isn't, what you have to pay and how much, etc.  Make sure to protect yourself and your kids if you do it.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I'm not sure it's a good idea. That puts your ex into a position different than just ex. Seems like it could get too complicated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
i wish my heart would just stop.
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
that could get tricky ..and wouldn't it confuse them.. i would thank twice before i did any thing.
KRIZZ25
i wish my heart would just stop.
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
oh and get it in writing....
TexanMomOf6
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Could be messy. Is he gonna keep keys to the house? Come in whenever he wants? Tell you how to do things? Will he freak out if you have "company"? Lots of possibilities of problems.

IDK if I would do it....

steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Well, if you think you can trust your ex to stay away and only come over to the house to pick-up the kids or fix something that is broken I would only agree to this type of living arrangement.  To a trial basis (until July) and see how it goes.  If it doesn't work out by mid-July I would move out.

lovemybabes3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM

you all bring up good points and it worries me so much because of how we are when we talk...we have it in our agreement now that we are not to communicate in front of the kids bc of all the fighting we use to do and still do on occassion...and i know if i were to have my bf come over that would probably raise issues...he is doing this bc my living situation now is not great and he knows the kids are under a lot of stress being here bc of the fighting that has gone on...at times i think it might be good but i think i would have to do a lot more worrying if i was there bc my ex could do anything he wanted...my aunt said i should look into evictions and what he can and cant do as a landlord...if it was easy for me to get my own place on my own i would have already but not working makes it hard for me to get a place at all

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds fairy tale but I see lots of drama and a bad outcome. Save your money and get your own place
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Might be tough, but if its a good deal and best for the kids, its probably worth trying. Make sure you both sign and notarize a lease specifying the terms, amount of rent and that he pays all taxes, insurance and repairs. Do it as a landlord/tenant, then he can't legally come in without good cause or in an emergency and he will have to give you 24 hours notice before coming over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)