Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

If you agree on a schedule/child support..do you HAVE to go to court?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM
  • 25 Replies
I'm a newly single mom. My son's father and I don't have any drama whatsoever, we've kept everything civil and we only want what's best for our child.
We've agreed on a schedule that would work best for us. And his dad agreed that I'll get 20% of his paycheck each month. We've already been to the bank and arranged for the money to automatically go to my account each month.

Since we've agreed on everything, do we still need to go to court? Or mediation? And if we do have to go to mediation..does that mean we each have to get a lawyer? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't know where to start!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

It's best to get it in writing. Keep in mind everyone's nice till their not. What if he remarries and suddenly 20% is too much? 

megs424420
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
At least get it finalized by the court. Cya!
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Yes.  My best friend had a plan that was agreed upon by her ex husband.  He took the kids one weekend as agreed and never returned them.  She ultimately lost custody.

OohMomma
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Thanks for the replies! Will it cost us anything to get this in writing?
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM
No hit you should at least get it all in writing and finalized by the courts. This way if he flaked you aren't left in the dust
Sj218
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM
I was in a similar situation. We went to an independent mediator, no lawyers involved. The mediator went through our budgets and we came to a final plan together that included CS and visitation. Then the mediator sent that plan to a paralegal who put it into a format that the court would accept. After we got the paperwork back, we just took it to the courthouse and filed it with the family court. A judge approved it and it was recorded with the county. Now if my sons dad ever decides to be a jerk, there is a judgement against him that proves what he has agreed to. It cost us a few hundred dollars, but totally worth it.
RigPrincess85
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I would still get a formal CO. It's great that y'all are civil with each other right now but it's not often that it will last for the entire co-parenting life.

You're only protecting all parties involved by getting it in writing. :)
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I recommend getting it all in writing and notarized make sure you cover all the bases including holidays, school pick up and drop off also what time on days when they don't have school the exchange occurs. Things are great now with him but you never know what or who will change that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I do not know but here's a bump for you!

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
It's always best to make it legal. You can go through the child support agency and get it done without attorneys or the expense of court or mediation. Making it .legal just insures that there's no mistaking or disputing the agreement. Just because you get along and agree now doesn't mean you always will.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)