Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Baby Sitting Daughter

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hello and Greetings!

I am like all the rest of you - a stressed single mom with not enough time and too many kids!!

My oldest daughter is now 12...and I've been waiting on the day that she is old and responsible enough to babysit for my younger two daughters...who are 9 and 3.  My nine year old is mature for her age and think's it cool when "big sis" babysits, so she is well behaved.  Beth, my three year old is another story!

She throws temper tantrums and is just trouble for my oldest daughter...she is about ready to stop babysitting for her and I really enjoy being able to have a break.  I am thinking of giving my twelve year old permission to spank Beth the next time this happens...all my daughters have been spanked by me at one time or another (I still spank to that regard) so it would not be unusual for her.  Is twelve too young to be letting her spank her sister though?

Thanks for all responses in advance...I am really torn on this one...

Renee

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't advise it. It's not appropriate for your daughter to ever spank her sister.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM
No you wouldn't let someone who you brought into your house to babysit spank your child neither should your daughter. She can discipline but follow through and talk to the little one when you get home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Personally I would not allow one of my children to hit another.

momma1708
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, siblings should not be allowed to spank each other. it sends the wrong message. 

try and find another route of disipline for her. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Just because your daughter is 12 doesn't mean she is old enough to babysit her siblings. Especially a 3 yr old. Letting one child spank the other is not the answer. You need to get someone else to babysit the youngest or take 3 yr old with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I see nothing wrong with spanking as a last resort, but only by the parents. I don't think its ever appropriate for a sibling to do it.
Renee_De
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Our mother permitted my older sister to spank me when younger (she was 5 years older).  I was not affected by it...I saw her as my guardian when mom was not around and responded to her when spanked the same as if mom had spanked me.

I think my daughter is quite mature for twelve and would trust her to be judicial when doing this.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly, 12 is too young to watch a 3 year old.
steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My mom never allowed my older brother to spank any of we kids if we acted up.  We always got the wrath from mom whenever she came home.  SO, we knew not to act up whenever we were babysat.  I would sit down and set rules for your 3 yr old.  I babysat a 2 yr old when I was 12.  But, I was very mature for my age and the 2 yr old lived next door. 

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Then why ask if your mind is already made up?

Quoting Renee_De:

Our mother permitted my older sister to spank me when younger (she was 5 years older).  I was not affected by it...I saw her as my guardian when mom was not around and responded to her when spanked the same as if mom had spanked me.

I think my daughter is quite mature for twelve and would trust her to be judicial when doing this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN