Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking kids to court..

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I recently lost my job and I have a court date for child support modification tomorrow. I can't find anyone to babysit and it's early release day tomorrow so I wont have anyone to pick up my daughter when she gets ouit at 1. The hearing is at 12:30. Have any of you ladies had to bring yoiur children to court? There is a little waiting room outside the hearing room, and she can sit out there if need be. She's 5. Im just worried because her father never comes see her and I dont want her to feel sad not being able to go with him after the hearing and seeing him after hes been gone. 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

You have to do what you have to do but I don't think its a good idea to bring a child to court. It is usually frowned upon and some courts flat our refuse to allow it. I would keep trying to find someone to watch your child.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

She doesn't have any friends at school that she could stay with a few a hours.

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Idk about there, but here there are signs on each courtroom door that say 'No shorts. No tank tops. No children allowed'.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Here in GA children are not allowed in the courthroom. Luckily each of the times my court date rolled around my daughter was in school...

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Like others have said, courts frown upon it. Our courthouse has a daycare for those in mediation but it's first come, first serve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Musiq_Junkie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM
They dont allow kids in the courtrooms here in NM either.
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I would reschedule the court date. Bringing your kids to court is a terrible idea. Are you wanting more money because you lost your job? We're you laid off or fired?
KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM
MY MOTHER WORKED FOR COURT FOR 15 YEARS ..THE JUDGES HATES WEN PPL DO THAT .IF U CAN FINE A BABY SITTER IT WOULD BE BEST .EVEN IF ITS PERSON THAT CAN SIT WTH UR CHILD OUT SIDE COURT ROOM TILL ITS OVER.
cnkmama
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I took my kids once the judge didnt mind. She kept saying how cute they are.
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I have had to bring my son when he was about 2....the judge would not allow him in the court room, so luckily I was able to keep him occupied in the waiting room and the security guard just kept an eye on him (he knew to stay in his seat until I came out)....I had no choice, he was not in daycare b/c I was not working & no family......then when I had my daughter I had to bring her, she was about 1, and thankfully my son was responsible enough @ 11 years old to watch her in the mediation room right outside the court room....that judge would not allow them in the court room either.....it is extremely difficult when you are a single mom and there is not daycare or school available.....thank God I now get to appear by phone since both sperm donors do not live any where close enough to appear in person.....I can go to court in my pajamas & the kids can be doing their own thing....best of luck to you mamma!!!!  keep us posted!!!!  If these sperm donors just stepped up to the role of DAD then maybe we would not have these problems!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)