Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Gas money for college!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
Do any of you know of any grants for this? I filled out all the paperwork for FAFSA but thats only going to cover half the tuition, I think. So I'll be paying roughly $50 a month, plus gas money which I'm thinking its gonna cost me about $95 a week(the school is an hr away from me.) I've checked into moving closer but daycare for my 2 toddlers will run right at 250 a week so it would actually be cheaper to drive back and forth. I know there are grants out there but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place! I'm in Texas btw if it matters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bnh89
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM
BUMP! :)
massenberg
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Nope  Sorry

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM
FAFSA includes federal grants and loans. You need to look at scholar ships and private grants
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
FAFSA covers Pell Grants and student loans and some state grants. Try these 2 websites for BILLIONS in grants and scholarships.

www.fastweb.com
www.scholarship.com

You have to look through lots of grants and scholarships but there's a lot. Fill out the profile. Some are just applications, some are essays some are for race, hobbies, religion, etc.

Check with your schools financial aid office too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bnh89
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Thanks so much for the info! :)

Quoting tyfry7496:

FAFSA covers Pell Grants and student loans and some state grants. Try these 2 websites for BILLIONS in grants and scholarships.

www.fastweb.com

www.scholarship.com

You have to look through lots of grants and scholarships but there's a lot. Fill out the profile. Some are just applications, some are essays some are for race, hobbies, religion, etc.

Check with your schools financial aid office too.

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Call your schools financial advisor. There are all kinds of grants out there, but they should be able to line you up with some.
bnh89
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Will do, thanks!

Quoting Robsessed98:

Call your schools financial advisor. There are all kinds of grants out there, but they should be able to line you up with some.

dawncs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Have you thought of amending your FAFSA form to add the work study option? It can help you gain work experience for your resume in addition to providing some much needed gas money.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

There are so many different grants it isn't funny. It takes lots of research on your own though. Your age, background, ethnicity, everything all makes a difference.

Plus theres a lot of non-merit grants and scholarships out there.

Business and Professional Women

Women and Minority Scholarships

These two links where pulled from

http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c21963.htm

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Great tips from the ladies do some scholarship research and talk to your financial counselor. You may also want to see if the school has childcare usually discounted
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)