Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my Five year out of my bed!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

I swear I have tried everything under the sun from rewards to night lights to glow in the dark stickers!! He has been in my bed for about 2 1/2 years now. It started with him just calming and falling asleep in my bed to him just staying in my bed all night! He was even really excited about having a roomate since he became a big brother last year. I'm to the point of switching beds with him so that way him and his brother share my bed and i just sleep in his.

He is not afraid of the dark, he is not afraid of monsters, he is not afraid of anything besides being alone i think.

There was a time where we had to share a bed because we were living with my mom and my brother in a small two-bedroom apartment and we all had different schedules so we all had a bed most nights but me and my son had to share.

But once we got our new place, OUR place i tried to make him as comfortable as possible in HIS room and made it clear to him it was HIS room (since I was expecting a girl at a time, did not find out until I delivered that it was a boy, trust me it was a HUGE suprise for all of us when he had the wrong plumbing).

He keeps telling me "Mom you get me . . . . . and I will sleep in my bed, and that's a golden (from tangled) promise"

I've gotten him everything he said and yet still sleeping in my bed, if not on me, which makes it hard for me to sleep most nights. I'm lucky if I get five hours of sleep and I'm afraid the baby is getting that way but maybe its just because he has been having a terrible time with allergies.

I've even tried putting him back in his bed all night and I have been up until three am doing that!! Keep in mind I have to get up at about 5:45am to do meds for both boys and get ready for work and them ready for daycare. I've even tried laying in his bed until he falls asleep and then going to my bed and he follows me about an hour or so later. I do believe it is inappropriate for him to be sleeping in my bed. I had him sleeping on my floor for a while but now that does not even work. As I have said I have literally tried everytihng!! Any new ideas please let me know, I'M DESPARATE!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Graciesmom82
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Drag them to school in thier pajamas... The Experience Will Embarass them BUT They'll never give you grief on the subject of getting up and dressed for school again. (trick is to discuss plan ahead of time with the childs teacher and leave shoes) - This Idea was given by an Elementry School President several years ago.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM

No too sure what to tell you...here is a bump!

theresa531
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM
he loves the pajams days he's not embarrassed about wearing pajamas to school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ngarciaf
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Where does the baby sleep at? Same room as his room?

theresa531
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
the baby usually sleeps in his crib, unless he is not feeling well, then its usually in my bed as well
Francess33
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I went through that with my son too, oh the torture! I eventually used a chair outside of his room and sat there. I consistently put him BACK in his bed for hours! I think it was maybe a week(?)before it finally took but SO worth it. No talking, hugging, kisses, books, water,etch. You have to be committed to it!!
Francess33
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

*etc, not etch! Stupid autocorrect lol

Quoting Francess33:

I went through that with my son too, oh the torture! I eventually used a chair outside of his room and sat there. I consistently put him BACK in his bed for hours! I think it was maybe a week(?)before it finally took but SO worth it. No talking, hugging, kisses, books, water,etch. You have to be committed to it!!

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Once they get in your bed, its hell getting them out. Explain to him that he is too big to sleep with you and that he is moving to his big boy bed. Make sure there's some light in his room and put him in there. The first few nights you could lay with him until he falls asleep and wean him off. Be prepared to battle and have lots of patience. When he gets up, put him back immediately over and over until he figures out he has no choice. Let him cry and don't give in. You will feel like the worst mom ever, but if you don't do it, he will stay in your bed indefinitely.
theresa531
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Its sp hard cuz I have anxiety and depression whichhet worse with lack of sleep. Last time I locked myself in my room I ended up breaking down and crying.
To make matters worse the noise travels through to other apartments very easily so I'm always worried about getting noise complaints, especially from one particular neighbor.
Its been a terrible battle and I want it to be over by the time he hits kindegarten this fall.
samhannon
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Have a similar problem with my four year old I left his dad when he was just over a year old made me feel better to have my lad close but now he just won't go to his room
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)