Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make ends meet?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
Moneys tight for everyone so what do you do to help make ends meet? My lease is up in 3 months so I need to find somewhere to move, I've been sharing a house with another single mom but she is moving across country and I cannot afford to stay here. According to the state I live in I make decent money so do not receive any assistance for housing/food/daycare/ect, but I lose almost one check a month to cover the daycare bill, and DS only goes 3 days a week because that's all I can afford. SD is currently behind 12 child support checks so I just feel like money stress piling up. I already work a full time job, so adding another job on top would be hard to juggle and I would never see DS.. What are some ways you help make extra money or cut costs around your house?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I work full time as a nurse as well as promote a 90 day health challenge which brings in extra income for me (so much so that within the next 6 months or so I should be able to 'fire' my boss and focus completely on my kids and this!!

ngarciaf
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I was wondering the same exact thing today when I got paid. I paid some bills and bought some meat for the week and now I'm left with $30 until next Thursday and I usually spend $50 in gas a week as it is.  I have tried cutting back on groceries or stretching the food. Meaning I will skip the meat for dinner just so son can have met two days. 

jlm1424
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I just posted my own financial struggles yesterday!  I know what you are going through.  I also work full time, and my ex has given me $120 in the past 6 weeks.  I live on my own in a small two bedroom with my kids, 7 and 5, and it is rough.  I am scraping by at the end of the month.  On the weekends that my ex has them, I do cleaning jobs that I picked up through friends, and have also been trying direct selling with Silpada Jewelry, although I am not very good with it, because of the little time I have!  I also make too much for state assistance.  I feel emotionally and physically drained.  

I've cut costs by getting rid of cable and the Internet, and do my best to take a list to the market with me so I don't overbuy and stick to my budget.  I try to eat meals with family as much as possible.  I shop at consignment stores.  I stopped getting my hair done, and cut out some of my faves like Starbucks.  I give myself a treat every now and then!  I only go to the movies if I have a gift card, and only take the kids out to eat if I have coupons or find places where kids eat free.  

I have no idea when my ex is going to start paying me again, how much it will be, and whether or not it will be consistent.  I don't know what I'm going to do about this summer, and summer camp.  To send my kids to camp through the school district would cost $108 per kid per week for 3 days, which I really can't afford, but then what do I do with them the other 2 days?  

Hugs to you - I know this sucks.  I wouldn't consider myself a particularly religious person, but I am praying like crazy that God helps me figure this out.  If I find some solutions, I'll be sure to share with you!

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If you do not mind to post your bring home and your expenses, grocery shopping list,  than we can offer more advice on how you can save by getting rid of something(s) or cutting back.

cnkmama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I.know the feeling! I know if I got cs on the regular I could pay for daycare and food for the kids with it. Its like I make just enough with nothing left over
princesscayte
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I know the feeling, trust me. I'm getting kicked out of my parents house because of legal issues and i can't work because i only get 656$ a month for my kids and i. I can't afford childcare. Ive got somewhere to live but i don't have my own car and i can't work. It's scary and frustrating. We can get through this! We're strong women and mothers!
MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I'm blessed in that I have a wonderful support system. My family helps ALOT and I mean ALOT. I'm working but I don't have a car or place of my own yet. I carpool and my mom pays for childcare every other week. I too have cut out things like getting my hair and nails done, skip the movies and the like...phew...

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I got rid of all my "fun stuff".  Internet is gone, dish is gone, mail in movie program is gone, gym membership gone.  I get a little extra money from selling my girls clothes each season as they grow out of them.  I just recently got a nice amount for all my maternity clothes.  I sold a bunch of ex's crap that he left at the house. I signed up to sell Avon and its been doing really well!!  I make about $150 a month doing that and it doesnt take much time to do it.  

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
It's not always easy. Cut the budget to include only the things yall need and get rid of the extras. Couponing and thrifty shopping can go a long way. Is there another person who could move in when she's gone?
themrsrick
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I am so glad you asked this question. I am not divorced yet, and my parents are letting me live with them. I cannot wait to have my own place, yet I am not sure how I will make it. If you live in the ATL area, we could maybe live together, but I somehow doubt that you're here. GOOD LUCK!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)