Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Changing my toddlers last name

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM
  • 40 Replies
I would like to get my daughter's last name changed to mine's. It was a big mistake me giving her his name.He comes in and out of her life when he feels like it.Do you think it would be hard to get it changed? I know he'll put up a big fight over it.
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LESH44709
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:40 AM

My daughter's name was changed at age 6! It is not easy to get it done,as you have to prove it is in the best interest of the child! What Helped with my daughter's name change,was the fact she was young yet(just starting school),requested herself the name change (the judge asked her,in her chambers alone and her response was recorded) she wanted the same last name as her siblings and myself,Her father commited "a crime" against my oldest daughter and there is a permanent no contact order in place by the courts! Changing a child's name is not normally an easy thing to do or Something a court is willing to do (unless the child is adopted or extreme circumstance)......especially if the father fights it!  My daughter (at age 6) had to fight her own father in court for what "she" wanted (She actually came to me crying about her name one day and that's what got me to start the process on her behalf) The courts will look at the fact, that someday (likely)you will marry and then ,your child will not have a name matching the mother or the father. For this reason,the court likely would not grant a name change for your child! 

mollymae09
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Im going to be changing my sons name. his therapist agrees that it needs to be changed given the circumstances. i just need to file the paperwork and see what happens... good luck dear!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Hope it works out and you are able too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't agree to it, it won't happen. The Father has to sign off on it.

Mamitaa918
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I am also thinking to change my 3 mon old last name. Her father left me at 7 mons and i just know that after she was born he would come back and work on his family but he did not and is already living with another woman and has been in absence of my baby girl for weeks now. From what I hear it is a process to have it done, just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and not for spite. you dont want her to be upset when she gets older thinking mom acted out of anger. This is what I have been struggleing.

superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Quoting LESH44709:

My daughter's name was changed at age 6! It is not easy to get it done,as you have to prove it is in the best interest of the child! What Helped with my daughter's name change,was the fact she was young yet(just starting school),requested herself the name change (the judge asked her,in her chambers alone and her response was recorded) she wanted the same last name as her siblings and myself,Her father commited "a crime" against my oldest daughter and there is a permanent no contact order in place by the courts! Changing a child's name is not normally an easy thing to do or Something a court is willing to do (unless the child is adopted or extreme circumstance)......especially if the father fights it!  My daughter (at age 6) had to fight her own father in court for what "she" wanted (She actually came to me crying about her name one day and that's what got me to start the process on her behalf) The courts will look at the fact, that someday (likely)you will marry and then ,your child will not have a name matching the mother or the father. For this reason,the court likely would not grant a name change for your child! 

Sorry to hear your daughter went through a bad situation with her father, but glad she now has your name! I'm going to send you a pm later. Thanks for the info.
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Quoting mollymae09:

Im going to be changing my sons name. his therapist agrees that it needs to be changed given the circumstances. i just need to file the paperwork and see what happens... good luck dear!

Thank you and good luck to you as well!
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

Hope it works out and you are able too.

Thank you! I hope it works out also. I'm doing "ALOT" of praying!!
superwoman39
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

I know he's going to give me a hard time and fight the issue, but I have many good reasons why I don't want my daughter to have his last name, and no matter how tough it may be, I'm not giving up!!
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Thats the only reason why I was never able to add my sons's middle name to his name. 

Quoting superwoman39:

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

I know he's going to give me a hard time and fight the issue, but I have many good reasons why I don't want my daughter to have his last name, and no matter how tough it may be, I'm not giving up!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)