Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I cannot stand her (vent)

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 38 Replies

So my daughter has been having really bad tantrums lately. Things are stressed at home (me not getting along w/ my mom, whom we live with)...well today my daughter was pulling me, screaming at me and hitting me while we walked to the car after school. I stayed calm and finally got her in the car after almost everyone had left and trying to get her to get in...we got home and i told her she couldnt have a piece of candy but could have a snack. well, she just kept screaming and I ignored her hoping she would stop. well my mom came in my room and told her to come downstairs with her and she was going to get her something after I told my daughter to get her own snack bc she is big enough to get something out of the pantry. i hate that my mother takes it upon herself to butt in...me and my mother are not on speaking terms. i refuse to talk to her bc it ends up in a fight which is why we are not speaking, well she wont talk to me unless i speak to her in person but my kids are tired of the fighting and she doesnt care. idk what to do but i am so tired of dealing with her

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Work on removing the stress from the home. Children act out when this is going on.
kkat117
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I know what it is like having trouble with the parents...I have issues with my stepmother all the time. My dad is at least willing to talk it out with me after my step-mother throws one of her temper tantrums about me at him (which in turn makes him have a temper tantrum at me) 

I know you said your mother insists on talking to you in person...have you tried a note? A handwritten one? Maybe that would have a little more meaning to her than something typed, but it is hard to say without being in the situation myself

Robsessed98
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM
If you and mom continue this behavior, the kids are only going to get worse. You have to either settle things between you or move out. There is nothing healthy for kids living in that kind of stress.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

You should not be living with your mom. You are a grown woman, you are a mom. Time to put on your big girl panties and find your own place. You and your mother are no better off than a divorced couple fighting in front of their kids.

mlb456
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Might not be my place.. BUT mayb shes only living with her cuz shes going threw hard times and is working on getting her own place things like that take time.. this is a single moms group.. just saying

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

You should not be living with your mom. You are a grown woman, you are a mom. Time to put on your big girl panties and find your own place. You and your mother are no better off than a divorced couple fighting in front of their kids.

CEOPotts
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I'd say, if you & "grandma" can't even get along, your main goal should be to get your stuff together & move out on your own.  I agree with previous posters, that is definitely not a healthy atmosphere for your kids.  Maybe when you talk to your mom, you should present it to her that way.  Tell her you love her and you love your kids and you don't want to put them (or her) through any undo stress, nor do you want to be in that situation yourself.  You are a family and that is important.  Try it.  I really pray that it works out for you and things get better... AND you can move out on your own and be happy.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Agreed

Quoting Robsessed98:

If you and mom continue this behavior, the kids are only going to get worse. You have to either settle things between you or move out. There is nothing healthy for kids living in that kind of stress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmom0407
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I'm sorry :(    is she just doing it to spite you?  would it be at all possible to write an email to your mom expressing how you don't appreciate her undermining you by allowing your kids to do something that you've already prohibited?

I have a good relationship with my mom but it drives me absolutely nuts when she gets involved!!!  Everytime I am disciplining or telling my son to stop doing something she butts right in and starts yelling at him.  I always tell her it's only confusing him and he doesn't need two ppl disciplining him. it always makes me feel as though she thinks I can't handle it.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM
2 moms liked this
It would be a cold day in hell before one of my kids hit me. Sorry your day is bad.
samhannon
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I found things got better between me and my mum as well as me and my lad once I got my own place we only like a 5 min walk away but its so much easier
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)