Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Affordable childcare

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

What's the best way to go about finding affordable childcare? I'm trying as hard as possible to avoid government help. I've discussed options with the father of my child and we've decided to break things up into what he will cover and what I will cover for the baby.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Is it possible that he can watch the children on the days you work.  Don't know the ages of your children - if school age, see if your school has care - if not school age then try the YMCA/YWCA.

libramoon007
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Ask around other mothers with children. Even if you don't get assistance maybe they can guide you in the right direction. And some assistance you still pay a copay based on income. It's a help when needed. I did it all through school and my 3 sucky jobs before I finally got my good job. Good luck. Also library good source. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Home day cares are usually cheaper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnkmama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Just asking, but why are you avoiding government help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AuPairMama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Have you considered an au pair? It's a great solution for single moms because it gives you help with the kids when you need it even if you have a date or need to run to the store at 8pm. It's also nice to have help with breakfast and dinner and laundry etc. it costs about $355 per week and that is per family, not per child. Please contact me if you want any info. I have to agree with the person who asks why you are avoiding government help tho- if you qualify for it, take it. That money will help you make a better life for your kids. If it gives you $50 more for food and allows you to save that money for something else they might need, that's what it's there for! Just my two cents... 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Have you found anything yet?

I agree with asking around and see if you can find other Moms who want to share childcare.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM
This:

Quoting cnkmama:

Just asking, but why are you avoiding government help?

mrsary
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Childcare govt assistance isn't really bad. It has helped me a lot and I am not low income. Without the assistance I wouldn't be able to afford anything since we don't qualify for FS or any other PA.
cnkmama
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Thats not so affordable for a single mom.

Quoting AuPairMama:

Have you considered an au pair? It's a great solution for single moms because it gives you help with the kids when you need it even if you have a date or need to run to the store at 8pm. It's also nice to have help with breakfast and dinner and laundry etc. it costs about $355 per week and that is per family, not per child. Please contact me if you want any info. I have to agree with the person who asks why you are avoiding government help tho- if you qualify for it, take it. That money will help you make a better life for your kids. If it gives you $50 more for food and allows you to save that money for something else they might need, that's what it's there for! Just my two cents... 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Only if she is making a decent salary but its a good price for a 2 income family.

Quoting cnkmama:

Thats not so affordable for a single mom.

Quoting AuPairMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN