Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

question about imaginary friends (?)

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 13 Replies
So apparently my 4 year old manifests some imaginary friends but only when he's with his dad. His dad always asks me what he should do about it. As I understand it's normal specially for a child that doesn't have siblings. But he only does it at his dads which is my concern. Should I be worried about that? Have any of you guys ever experienced this?
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamer12812
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

no but sounds normal to me but what i dont get is why he only does it at his dads house and not yours maybe no one plays with him so he made up some one to  play with i dont know just guessing.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

It's nornal for kids that age to have imaginary friends.  I remember growing up and I had imaginary friends sitting at the breakfast table with me and I would talk to them all the time.  Now my kids on the other hand didn't have any to speak of because they are twins and they talk to each other in their own language - don't know how they do it but they do, I have some papers of theirs they had written, and I could swear that what child A wrote was really what child B always said and what Child B wrotewould be what child B says. (not reading that wrong). lol.

aidensmom0407
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Exactly.. I totally understand it to be a normal thing but its only at his dads which I find odd. I know it's really nothing to be concerned about but makes me sad to think that his dad doesn't interact with him so he makes up friends.

Quoting mamer12812:

no but sounds normal to me but what i dont get is why he only does it at his dads house and not yours maybe no one plays with him so he made up some one to  play with i dont know just guessing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamer12812
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

thats sad.....

KPBMom
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I thnk it's fine and I think it's fine that it's only at his dad's.  don't let dad worry NOR try to stop it.  He might even ask to play along.

fwiw: my imaginary friend (when I was 3 and living in NY) was named Lars, lived in CA and had 5 collies.  Don't know where that came from, but apparantly I had some good stories that my mother retells...

Mom to DD19, DS18 & DD7
aidensmom0407
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Lol!! His is a pet mouse who so far has no name but has an uncle named Tom. It's amazin the things will come up with =).

Quoting KPBMom:

I thnk it's fine and I think it's fine that it's only at his dad's.  don't let dad worry NOR try to stop it.  He might even ask to play along.

fwiw: my imaginary friend (when I was 3 and living in NY) was named Lars, lived in CA and had 5 collies.  Don't know where that came from, but apparantly I had some good stories that my mother retells...

Gabrielle1982
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Maybe he gets attention by doing it at his dad's house.  

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe there is a mouse at his dad's and he's created a story about it in his head.
christi34
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Not to scare you but sometime children will say they have a friend that only they can see, it's possible this so called friend is an actual spirit/ghost. Children can see things that we can't see!

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Does he visit his dad's house often?  It's possible his imaginary friend is a source of comfort for him if he's not used to being there much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)