Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which career path should I take as a single mom?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 12 Replies
How do I decide which career path to choose I didn't think I would be a single mom raising two babies but I am. I just took a nurse aide class so all I have to do now is take my state board. But I'm worried about who will keep the babies dads doesn't make a point to be around for them. The only person I have that I cAn really rely on is my mom and she works. She works mon. Threw Thursdays. I know I can get a job around her schedule but their is no guarantee an employer would do that. I'm just really frustrated and need advice I could change my career path to a teachers aide and continue on for a teacher but then my nurse aide certificate would go to waste. I really have my heart set on delivering babies which would be a certified nurse midwife or a obgyn. But I'm willing to let go of my dream for now so I can work around their schedule because they are my responsibility and I'm a single mom an that's what single moms do? What do I do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshineDee
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
How old are your babies. you can search for a daycare facility and get some vouchers from the state for them to go.Some places hae a 24 hour facility but iliked the smaller places i knew the entire staff and they were willing to work with me on the payments.. dont give up on it- find a way, maybe you knoe and older woman that has time and is willing, find out if your church has any help
Shyandteyamommy
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM
They are 1 and 3 bout to be 2 and 4 this year. I don't want to give up on delivering babies because my nurse aide class would have beena waste of time I laid like 300 dollars out of pocket to take that class and now I'm struggling to find a way to make it work I thought things would just fall into place but the second baby daddy broke up with me and now it's just me and the babies all over again!!!!
mz23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Im in the exact same situation. My dd is 9 months. Im taking prenursing classes. I have one prereq left, want to take it in the summer but hard for me to find time to study. Hopefully i get this job i interviewed for if not ill take the cna over the summer but not 100% i can find childcare. Does your school offer campus childcare? My school does but the child has to be 18 months and over, did you apply for head start, and the state may pay for childcare if in school or work. I only can get half day head start for my dd. Gotta work over 32hrs to get full day. So idk what I'm gonna do either. Dont give up though! Can you be a cna for noc shift? Will your mom watch the kids at night? If they sleep through the night seems like a good solution?
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I recommend that you go with your passion. A career is something that you'll be doing for a long time. It should be something you enjoy. (This from a single mom that started a new career- my passion, teaching, at the age of 40). :-)
honey27
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I've done both and I would still get certified because if need be later you can use that job because it is in demand as well as the teachers aide because the hours are gonna be more convenient because their school hours and some jobs at the schools have health aide positions were u can use both cna and ta to help the sick kids that attend school.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I agree

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

I recommend that you go with your passion. A career is something that you'll be doing for a long time. It should be something you enjoy. (This from a single mom that started a new career- my passion, teaching, at the age of 40). :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I agree with the others, go wtih your passion...if you take a job just because it's convenient you will end up miserable and unhappy.  Good luck to you and your decision. 

yellownes8
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM
You should definitely go with what you love. You can find a babysitter to watch them...care.com has a ton of babysitters looking for work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Go with your passion.  You are young and have a full life ahead of you.  And, you have kids to raise. Don't be like a lot of others and give up a dream.  One day you will wake-up and realize that you had a wonderful chance and didn't go after it. 

Shyandteyamommy
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I really want to deliver babies because that's my dream but I feel selfish to go with that because I have to go to school 8 years or longer to do that because only obgyns and midwives do that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)