Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which career path should I take as a single mom?

How do I decide which career path to choose I didn't think I would be a single mom raising two babies but I am. I just took a nurse aide class so all I have to do now is take my state board. But I'm worried about who will keep the babies dads doesn't make a point to be around for them. The only person I have that I cAn really rely on is my mom and she works. She works mon. Threw Thursdays. I know I can get a job around her schedule but their is no guarantee an employer would do that. I'm just really frustrated and need advice I could change my career path to a teachers aide and continue on for a teacher but then my nurse aide certificate would go to waste. I really have my heart set on delivering babies which would be a certified nurse midwife or a obgyn. But I'm willing to let go of my dream for now so I can work around their schedule because they are my responsibility and I'm a single mom an that's what single moms do? What do I do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Replies (11-12):
tyfry7496
by Janet on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Then do it!! It might be challenging and a sacrifice but in the end it will be worth it. You will also be showing your children how important an education is.

Quoting Shyandteyamommy:

I really want to deliver babies because that's my dream but I feel selfish to go with that because I have to go to school 8 years or longer to do that because only obgyns and midwives do that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Unless you have someone who could watch your babies for days on end for the next 12 years (weeks on end at times), I would rule out medical school. Especially obstetrics. its incredibly intense and time consuming and competitive. Being a midwife would mean at least 6 years assuming you could start immediately, though I personally never think its advisable for someone to go straight into advanced practice with no experience.

I don't mean to be discouraging, just realistic. Have you considered an RN track? It could be as little as two years, and then you only work 3 days a week. You could work on l& d and still work in the field you are interested in. Midwifery was my goal at one time until I did some research and decided that it isn't the right lifestyle for me and my family (with liability insurance so high, you have to work full time and have a busy practice and be on call often to make it worthwhile financially).

Quoting Shyandteyamommy:

I really want to deliver babies because that's my dream but I feel selfish to go with that because I have to go to school 8 years or longer to do that because only obgyns and midwives do that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)