Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had trouble finding housing?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am a working single Mom.  I have been at my government job for 17 years and I have a 5 year old son.  In March I was transferred to a different office, two and a half hours away from my last office.  In January I filed for bankruptcy after struggling for years to pay off some old debts.  Now I can't find any places to rent to me.  Luckily my friend is letting me stay with her, but she won't let me pay her anything and I am feeling that I am taking advantage of friendship.  

Before filing bankruptcy I tried debt management, which made things worse.  Most of the debts were from 2006 and 2007, when my exbf and I were together.  I went heavily into debt taking care ofhis 3 sons after their mother abandoned them in a house with no running water,no electricity and no food. He refused to try to get any assistance for them and they were eating $700 a month in food.  Right after they came he got "laid off" but wasn't eligible for unemployment for some reason.  Once he started working again I asked him to help me pay back the credit card bills and he told me that I was the one who wanted the kids there, he wanted to send them to foster care (which was true) and since I wanted them I could pay for them.  This is a major reason we are not together anymore.  Anyway, right after I ran up all this debt we got  15% paycut at work, so I went from bringing home $2600 a month down to bringing home $1900 a month.  

Then my son was born and I was paying what I could but the debt management couldn't get 3 creditors to accept the plan and my payments got out of control.  I stopped paying on everything except monthly living expenses.  Well Last January I started having more disposable income, so I started paying some of the  due bills.  That was a huge mistake.  Once I paid one bill off, bill collectors started coming out of  the woodwork.  I paid off 4 or 5 bills and then they really started getting aggressive.  I had people calling at 6 in the morning, calling  my Mom and sisters, it was crazy.  I finally decided to file bankruptcy when I  going to get sued.  I can't afford a wage garnishment.  

Well, had I known that you cant rent even a crappy apartment when you file bankruptcy,I probably would have waited.  I have money set aside for moving, I have steady work history etc, but can't rent a place.  Any ideas?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
plprincess78
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I've heard of some places that will rent if you put down a large deposit.  What about having someone else on the lease that has good credit?

Sorry I've not had experience with it.  

mag12305cmg
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Have you looked into renting from the actual homeowner rather than going through a company. Some homeowners don't use management companies to rent out there homes that way they don't have to give away part of the money coming in, if you talk to them they may be more likely to rent from you. You can usually find these by looking in the classifieds or online on cragislist, just make sure with craigslist that you are not sending any money electronically, meet the person and see the home before doing anything because there can be lots of scams on it.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I didn't have trouble renting, but I did have a cosigner lined up in the event that it was needed.  Once I'd been in my house for a year, my landlord took her off of the lease.  Also, it's helped my credit.

One thing I learned, be honest up front with the landlord, be it a management company or an individual.  If they know the situation from the get-go it can make all the difference.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Try a cosigner or maybe a private party
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnkmama
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Find apts that dont do credit checks...i only know how to find thrm on my state website though check urs I think every state has an affordable housing site
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Do you have someone who could co-sign for an apartment for you?  My ex shot my credit while we were married and my mom co signed on an apartment for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)