Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Dinner ideas for two

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 9 Replies
I need easy dinner ideas for my one year old and me. I'm tried wasting so much food help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Do you have freezer space you could use?
sallyvm
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I also have this problem, my D's is eleven so eats more but still waste. I'm use to cooking for a family. I do freeze something but tend to forget them. Great Q.
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

What are your son's favorite meals? Try adding a variety of vegetables to his plate, whether cooked or uncooked.  Add a little salad, or cottage cheese and pears, or other canned fruits, making them into funny faces.  Have breakkfast for dinner, and dinner for breakfast, etc.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Can you use a grill?  My son and I grill a lot this time of year and there are so many things that are easy to just grill a few of and go from there.  That way you aren't wasting a lot. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Its hard to like the same foods as a one year old.  They are very picky at that age and go thru a lot of food.  Try and zone in on what your child likes and make that for the two of you.  Mac N' Cheese is easy.  Veggies like peas, and cooked carrots.  Speghetti in small bites is another good idea.  Cut up a baked potato and a cooked hotdog.  Kids this age normally are into pasta and veggies.  Easy stuff like that.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I cook for 3 of us and still waste a lot of food...lol!!!

xsmommy12
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
My son is one and he eats two plates of food. I only eat one. But I still waste alot and freezing is pointless because I either forget about doing it or about it being in the freezer. Or don't it taste the same. I'm scared of the grill lol. My son hates veggies they have be mixed in with other foods or cooked. I don't have problem with breakfast nor lunch because to me those are easy just dinner is the problem lol
I figured out some ideas for the two of us so there only one serving left or none at all

Fajitas
I used 5 chicken boneless strips cut them up add fajitas seasoning (you can find it next to taco seasoning) also add one red and green pepper
Then after it cooked put on tortillas add cheese and whatever your like.

Quesadilla
Either one steak 7oz sirloin or 5 chicken boneless strips cut up to chucks add quesadilla seasoning
Then after its fully cooked clean pan put butter in the pan put a tortilla add meat and cheese and whatever else you like then put tortilla on top and flip once golden brown. Then serve

Hamburger casserole
1lb of chop the meat up cooked
Half bag of egg noodles
I use two servings of cooked totter tots
After there fully cooked turn over on 375
Mix noodles with the hamburger and I used 2 chucks tomatoes and 2 cans tomatoes sauces
Put in glass pan then add crushed totter tots then cheese on top cook for 10 mins. Kids love this dish I half cook at least one a week with my son lol.

Goulash
Chopped up hamburger meat add onions add 2 pinches of garlic and chili powder
Then use macaroni noddles cooked
Then when noddles are done add cup of tomatoes then meat then one small can of tomato. I usually put can corn in it to trick my son so he eat his veggies lol then cup of cheese
MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

LOVE IT! ^5!!!!!!

Quoting xsmommy12:

My son is one and he eats two plates of food. I only eat one. But I still waste alot and freezing is pointless because I either forget about doing it or about it being in the freezer. Or don't it taste the same. I'm scared of the grill lol. My son hates veggies they have be mixed in with other foods or cooked. I don't have problem with breakfast nor lunch because to me those are easy just dinner is the problem lol
I figured out some ideas for the two of us so there only one serving left or none at all

Fajitas
I used 5 chicken boneless strips cut them up add fajitas seasoning (you can find it next to taco seasoning) also add one red and green pepper
Then after it cooked put on tortillas add cheese and whatever your like.

Quesadilla
Either one steak 7oz sirloin or 5 chicken boneless strips cut up to chucks add quesadilla seasoning
Then after its fully cooked clean pan put butter in the pan put a tortilla add meat and cheese and whatever else you like then put tortilla on top and flip once golden brown. Then serve

Hamburger casserole
1lb of chop the meat up cooked
Half bag of egg noodles
I use two servings of cooked totter tots
After there fully cooked turn over on 375
Mix noodles with the hamburger and I used 2 chucks tomatoes and 2 cans tomatoes sauces
Put in glass pan then add crushed totter tots then cheese on top cook for 10 mins. Kids love this dish I half cook at least one a week with my son lol.

Goulash
Chopped up hamburger meat add onions add 2 pinches of garlic and chili powder
Then use macaroni noddles cooked
Then when noddles are done add cup of tomatoes then meat then one small can of tomato. I usually put can corn in it to trick my son so he eat his veggies lol then cup of cheese

MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're afraid of the grill grill, try a George Foreman style grill..they're relatively inexpensive (depending on the size model you buy) and it sits right on your kitchen counter. (I do burgers, chicken breasts, grilled cheese..etc..I love my foreman!)

Here are a few meals I make for me and my sons..I use the single size packs of meat vs the larger family sized ones and often will replace beef with turkey. My boys are too young to tell the difference. LOL...

Texas Hash:

1 pack turkey

1 medium onion chopped

1.5 cups rice cooked (honestly I eyeball the rice but we're trying to make sure we don't waste food; if you find you've cooked too much rice save the extra for something else like stir fry or rice pudding)

1 can seasoned tomatos (I like Del Monte's onion and garlic flavored ones)

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 cup of frozen peas, cooked and set aside

Mrs. Dash; pepper, season salt & parmesean cheese..

brown the turkey and as it cooks add the: onion and garlic. season with the mrs. dash, pepper and season salt. drain off excess oil after its done.

drain the canned tomatoes (reserve some of the liquid.)

combine the turkey mixture with the rice, tomatoes and peas. Use the liquid to keep it moist.

Sprinkle parmesean cheese on top and bake for 20 mins at 350 and voila. Its enough for dinner and leftovers. I always take it for lunch the next day.

Taco Bake

1 pack turkey

1 box Kraft Deluxe Mac & Cheese dinner (original cheddar flavor)

1 container sour cream (I use Daisy brand)

1 jar of your favorite salsa (mild; remember young kids are gonna eat this)

1 cup cooked peas - drained and set aside

1 packet of taco seasoning

1 bag of mixed mexican cheese

Brown the turkey; when its almost done add the taco seasoning..drain and set aside when fully cooked.

Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. When its done stir in the cheese sauce, sour cream and salsa. Add the turkey and peas. Stir until well mixed. Add as much or as little of the the mexican cheese as you like. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 mins. Voila...a meal that you can stretch.

ENJOY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)