Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

moving in with boyfriend?

Posted by   + Show Post

hey everyone!

I'm new here and looking for advise outside the family. I have been divorced from my son's father for a year. Well, I have recently gotten into a serious relaionship and the idea of us moving in together has been brought up. I'm not fully sure how to go about this because I haven't been in this situation. Yes, I'm happy with moving in with my boyfriend. He treats my son and I amazingly, and we make a wonderful team together. My concerns fall on my son. I'm worried with how he will react. I have primary custody so he lives with me the majority of the year. I'm worried that he won't take us moving in very well.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm making any sense because I'm not sure what to ask. My son and my boyfriend get along very well and they haven't had any issues when my boyfriend watches him. My son is two.

I'm open to tips!! Thanks

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Replies (11-18):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are questioning it then u shouldn't do it

Quoting jaybabe28:

hey everyone!

I'm new here and looking for advise outside the family. I have been divorced from my son's father for a year. Well, I have recently gotten into a serious relaionship and the idea of us moving in together has been brought up. I'm not fully sure how to go about this because I haven't been in this situation. Yes, I'm happy with moving in with my boyfriend. He treats my son and I amazingly, and we make a wonderful team together. My concerns fall on my son. I'm worried with how he will react. I have primary custody so he lives with me the majority of the year. I'm worried that he won't take us moving in very well.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm making any sense because I'm not sure what to ask. My son and my boyfriend get along very well and they haven't had any issues when my boyfriend watches him. My son is two.

I'm open to tips!! Thanks

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
animebuddy
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
If youre in a serious relationship, I think moving in together is fine. It just depends on how long youve been together
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaybabe28
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone I appreciate the tips!

We haven't been together, but 6 months. That's why its just talk right now. I want to be prepard for when that day comes and we have the actual for sure conversation/try to make the decision with it.

yellownes8
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello and welcome! For me personally I wouldn't want to have someone moving in that I have only been with for 6 months. It's way too soon and anything could happen. I wouldn't want to put my kids through all of that if I wasn't 100% sure it was going to work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cholita1978
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I wouldn't do it, you guys have been dating for only a year think about your son, your needs come second, well that's my opinion but if you decide to move in with him good luck girl

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I'm not the best person to ask. I don't believe in living with people before marriage. It puts you in a situation where if you were to break up, you're right back to square one. 

plprincess78
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I think if it's serious and you know it's gonna last long term that it's alright.  You just don't want your kids getting attached to another guy that will walk out of your life.  It's hard on them.  To me 6 months is definitely moving a bit fast..but then again I've been seeing a guy now for about 8 months and he hasn't met  my kids yet.  

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

With a child that young I am totally against it. I know you said he treats your son great but toddler boys are at the highest risk of child abuse and once an unrelated male moves into the house the abuse risk skyrockets 7-10 times. You always here the news stories and most severe child abuse cases involve toddler boys from moms boyfriend who is not the father. If this boy has tantrums, and potty training, thats often creates issues for male caregivers. The child should be your first priority and I would keep this man at a safe distance until the child is a little older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)