Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exercising as a single mom

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

Before I had my daughter I exercised frequently and stayed relatively fit. Since having my daughter almost 5 years ago, I haven't really exercised on a regular basis. I work full time M-Fri 8-5pm and I have my daughter fulltime. I can't find the motivation to start exercising again!!!! I would have to find time during the work day or immediately after work while she is in daycare as there isn't an exercise place here that has regular childcare. But after work I am tired, she is tired, and I just want to get home and get dinner started, unwind and get ready for bed.  I need some motivation and I can't find it. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine389142
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
3 moms liked this

If you find motivation, can you send me a map?  lol  I need to start exercising as well.  It is so hard to get started.  Good luck!!!

Maybe try doing things with your DD.  Taking walks, bike rides, etc. Or get her in an activity, and then exercise while she is there?   

Ali32
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I've done the bike ride, her riding, me walking and she's only 4 1/2 and not totally steady on the bike so I guess it is some exercise with me chasing after her.  And yes, when I find that map, I'll send one to you :)

Quoting sunshine389142:

If you find motivation, can you send me a map?  lol  I need to start exercising as well.  It is so hard to get started.  Good luck!!!

Maybe try doing things with your DD.  Taking walks, bike rides, etc. Or get her in an activity, and then exercise while she is there?   

SkylarBeth
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Start slow, how about a pilates dvd you guys can do together at home, swimming get her some lessons and while she does that you swim laps. The 1st couple of weeks is the hardest, but you can do it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaPeyton622
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I have a park behind my house. I take the girls there twice a week. Even just a long walk unwinds and when they play, they use their energy and by the time we get home. They are ready for bed!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommysTimeOut5
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

try doing something to start off on your lunch hour or first thing in the morning. Even if it is some chair exercises or stretches it would be a start. Also get her involved in the exercising process. Children are the best motivators and cheerleaders in my opinion. Good luck and you are not alone there

LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I started walking on my lunch break this week I joined the gym 30 minutes is better than nothing.  I wont do it unless I do it then.

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Go on walks WITH your daughter. Play soccer, kickball, etc WITH your daughter. She needs exercise too. Use the time to talk WITH your daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaviHope
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I bought a treadmill and put it in my bedroom.  It was the only way.  I have the kids come into the room with toys and play while I walk for 30 minutes.  This is what I did when they were smaller.  Now that they are older, we go for walks or bike rides together.  It will be tough in the beginning but after some time, your energy will pick up.

Navi

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I dont have time to go to a gym and none of them offer child care after 5pm anyway.  I get dvd's off of Amazon for super cheap and do them at home.  Mostly the Jillian Michaels ones.  I have a really hard time getting motivated too.  I have to just force myself to do it once, and when I feel nice and sore the next day, it makes me want to keep it up.  I have to be really careful though because if I get lazy and take a day off, I fall off the wagon and lose my motivation. 

steviechick
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Great ideas!  I go to a local gym and meet up with a personal trainer.  So far I've lost 4 lbs.  I run in a local park and have run in several 5k's and one 7k.  When my daughter was younger I played with her outside all the time.  We did all kinds of fun activities from climing ladders, to kicking various balls, to chasing each other in the park.  We stayed atheletically busy.  When we were home I did sit-ups, kick lifts, chair and leg sit-ups anything and everything to stay fit while she played on her own or watched tv. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)