Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much did your divorce cost?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 40 Replies
I have paid $23,000 so far and I'm not done. Started with a mediator, ironically because it was supposed to be cheaper. Soon-to-be ex dragging his feet, not cooperating at all. I finally had to file on my own. I need it to end! Just wondering about what others pay?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Oh boy...if I tell you how much my divorce cost you're gonna go through the ROOF.  $85 bucks and 6 months. That was IT.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

$1500 retainer $500 so far for atty's fees (2 contempt of court charges) and $175 to file for a divorce. 

MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

WOW..where do you guys LIVE??? And for the record CebM..I should clarify...technically I didn't pay for my divorce.

My ex and I lived in DC and when we split up I immediately relocated to MD with family. I filed for a legal separation and learned that even though I was living in MD...I'd been a DC resident for 6 months prior to the day I filed for the separation. I wanted the separation thinking I'd have to divorce in MD. Long story short....I paid the $85.00 for the separation. We had 3 court dates and the judge finalized my divorce in November of last year. Like I said...85 bucks, 6 months and it was a DONE deal.

Quoting steviechick:

$1500 retainer $500 so far for atty's fees (2 contempt of court charges) and $175 to file for a divorce. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Unfortunately, in my case I knew I was already dealing with a snake with decades of money problems, so that's why I found an atty that has a retainer.  Good thing I'm smart because look at what's been going on.  My ex tried to file a Chapter 7 on me and my daughter - hoping to cancel out his divorce settlement with me.  The idiot has finally realized that he can't do that.  I'm going to force him come hell or high water to pay me and our daughter what he agreed to over two years ago - to repay me for the embezzlement and repo and help support our daughter while she attends college.  He's the one that f'd up and fathered two more children (out of wedlock).  Not my problem.  It's his.   

Quoting MommyAJ2921:

WOW..where do you guys LIVE??? And for the record CebM..I should clarify...technically I didn't pay for my divorce.

My ex and I lived in DC and when we split up I immediately relocated to MD with family. I filed for a legal separation and learned that even though I was living in MD...I'd been a DC resident for 6 months prior to the day I filed for the separation. I wanted the separation thinking I'd have to divorce in MD. Long story short....I paid the $85.00 for the separation. We had 3 court dates and the judge finalized my divorce in November of last year. Like I said...85 bucks, 6 months and it was a DONE deal.

Quoting steviechick:

MomAmy77
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
About 20,000 combined
cebmommy
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Wow! That's amazing! For your three court dates, did u use an attorney?

Quoting MommyAJ2921:

Quoting steviechick:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Nothing, my ex paid it, gave me the kids and the court gave him a huge child support payment. :)

a06z08mama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
$2000 retainer for the divorce. and now another $800 to fight for the damn house that I about lost because ex wasn't helping me with it or paying CS.
Tinkergirl1997
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2000 for divorce and a lot more for child custy and protection. All together over 60000
cebmommy
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Was that $60,000 or $6,000? Yikes!

Quoting Tinkergirl1997:

2000 for divorce and a lot more for child custy and protection. All together over 60000

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)