Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Apartment Hunting...

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm sure we've all done this at one point or another... gone to look at an apartment... really liked it... sign the agreement... move in... then BAM... you think to yourself "I wish I had of thought to look for this..."

When you're looking for a place to live... what do you look for...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

No vermin, which means no droppings whatsoever. Sometimes it's hard to know. I've been tricked like that in the past. I know what to look for now. You check behind things, inside of drawers for residue.

beautisticaware
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
4 moms liked this
Done a drive through at night and on the weekend, this way you get a feel for the true atmosphere.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomAmy77
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I just moved into an apartment with my kids. The main thing besides safe place to live was ground floor. Having two boys 10 & 7 they like to run around . 

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Check the Posting of registered sex offenders and crime statistics. It can be a heads up to pattern of crimes, like car break ins. Also for the Meghan's law disclosures- I know not all of the creepy scary people are listed, and I do not let my kids out of my sight- but knowing there is a convicted rapist in my building makes me ever vigilant.
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I agree check the sex offender registry and drive around the area at night.

steviechick
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If I was apt hunting I would look for two bedrooms with a study, swimming pool and gym included.  If I'm going to move into an apt and throw my money out on rent instead of putting towards a mortgage I might as well have amenities. 

lnrmom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Before I sign a lease, I come back at night. If there are people hanging out in the stairwells, or just doesn't look like somewhere I'd let my kids outside.... nope.

Tsmommy106
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I was spoiled with a washer & drier, now I need one. But it defiantly needs to be safe. Look up the crime in the area. Even go back around w/out someone from the office & look for other residents, ask them straight up how they like it there.
I love my apt now. It's so homey and quiet around my complex.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I agree with the other moms about driving by at night/weekend to see how well lit it is on the outside.  Another thing I look for are the windows (if they open, have locks, screens, etc).  I also check to see if it has heat/air and is efficient or not.  I always took for granted having a 2 bowl kitchen sink but the house I'm renting now only has a 1 bowl kitchen sink and its driving me crazy!!  I hate it and when I buy a house I will have a 2 bowl sink again even if I have to change out the sink lol. 

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Drive by evenings, weekends and nights all on different days, now that I am a mom I would check out the school district and sex offender registry for that address, needs gym on premises, well lighted, stairwells well lighted, parking lot well lighted, gated, grounds well manicured, stairwell or breezeway away from windows to the apartment itself, actual door instead of sliding door to the patio/balcony , peep hole to front entry door, individual apt alarm systems, # of closets/storage space, minimum 2 bathrooms/2 bedrooms, sprinklers , how emergency after hour service calls are handled. I am very anal as u may have noticed  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN