Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Visitation of daughter....with parents in 2 seperarate states

Posted by   + Show Post
Does anyone have any idea how visitations might be set up for a child with parents in seperate states? The father is in NJ and will be filing to have joint custody/visitation rights. They were never married. He tried to talk to her about visits but she flat out refused. She's giving him a very hard time and he's trying to find out his rights as a father. His name is not on the birth certificate. He'll be talking to a lawyer and filing the paper work, but in the mean time I wanted to try and find some answers for him. He's a good friend.
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Replies (11-19):
steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

In KY a DNA test is needed to prove paternity.  IF my ex left me and moved to OH or IN I would be able to request a DNA test to prove his is the father.  He couldn't get out of the test if I was requesting the test.  It would be the only way to prove paternity and to get cs. 

superwoman39
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting conniejo75:

Sorrry...I've been having trouble "quoting" at times if more than one post is already posted.
Yes, he was in his daughter's life for the last 8 years and wasn't on the bc because....she cheated on her boyfriend and tried to pass her daughter off as if she was her boyfriend's daughter. Two years later the truth came out... she looked just like the guy she cheated with!
Thank you for the info. I told him I had an idea of how the visits might be set up and the way you explained it was pretty much the way I was thinking.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Dang child, go drink some milk and chill out. And lets get something else straight, you didn't say, I didn't assume, I just responded to what you posted. It doesn't matter right now if he has known her all her 8 years or one day out of her 8 years, he is not dad. It's not my fault that he didn't go to court and file for paternity to protect HIS rights.

I do wonder how much support assumed dad has provided for his assumed child.

Quoting superwoman39:

Quoting krisnkids:

Your friend is not 'dad' right now, to the child he is a legal stranger. Mom does not need to give your friend the time of day because legally there is no connection. If he wants to see the child he needs to establish paterntiy and ask for visitation rights. The courts are not going to just come out and give him joint custody of a child who does not even know him. Graduated visitation would be what he shoots for to start with.

Let's get a couple of things straight...his child DOES know him! He's been in her life for the last 8 years UNTIL his ex up and left! Ofcourse he wants to see her that's why he's getting a lawyer and taking the necessary steps. Mom will be giving him the time of day (with his daughter) after things are settled in court! He does not have proof at this moment (paternity or on birth certificate) but he is definitely "daddy" in her eyes and have been until she was taken from him. The test will LEGALLY prrove it! Next time just ask, don't assume things!

superwoman39
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Traci2012:

In IL an actual DNA test is not needed to establish parentage unless the mother refuses to him being the father or the father questions paternity. He would however have to go to court to establish he is the father prior to visitation being set up. As far the separate state thing, I believe it will go by the laws set in the state in which the child lives.

I had no idea IL is set up like that. They both know that he is the dad but she's been pretty nasty to him and I have a feeling she's going to put up a nasty fight legally. She's with someone else and already throwing it in his face that HE'S her daddy now. I'm going to send you a pm later, I want to talk to you more privately. Thanks!
superwoman39
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Quoting krisnkids:

I see you still have some growing up to do from your childish remarks. You assumed that his daughter didn't know him or ever seen him and your were wrong!
Have a nice day!
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quoting superwoman39:

Quoting krisnkids:

I see you still have some growing up to do from your childish remarks. You assumed that his daughter didn't know him or ever seen him and your were wrong!
Have a nice day!

Calling your reply to me catty wasn't childish its the truth.

I didn't assume anything as I already said, I replied to your post. I still would love to know how much support he has provided for his ass-u-med child.

Heck for all we know he isn't even the bio-dad.

Traci2012
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quoting superwoman39:

Quoting Traci2012:

In IL an actual DNA test is not needed to establish parentage unless the mother refuses to him being the father or the father questions paternity. He would however have to go to court to establish he is the father prior to visitation being set up. As far the separate state thing, I believe it will go by the laws set in the state in which the child lives.

I had no idea IL is set up like that. They both know that he is the dad but she's been pretty nasty to him and I have a feeling she's going to put up a nasty fight legally. She's with someone else and already throwing it in his face that HE'S her daddy now. I'm going to send you a pm later, I want to talk to you more privately. Thanks!

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to learn quite a bit about this lately. My daughter has 2 little girls and never married the dad, but his name is on the birth certificate. Which by the way alone does not establish parentage. She dropped her kids off with me last month and Im working with the dad to get custody (mom is a mess).

easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

No but here's a bump for you!

brieri
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

He could get lots of visits or even custody if she continues to refuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)