Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Mice in the House

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have just moved to a new place and its fairly old, but in decent working order.

There have been mice roaming my facility since I moved in and I constantly find mice droppings in my cabinets, floors, on clothes & shoes, and all OVER my kitchen!!

I have set traps (sticky paper and avanced plastic traps-in case my daughter gets to it) and called my landlord about the issue.

Yesterday I caught a mouse and the maintenance took care of it and set more traps. This morning, I didn't see any mice that were caught, but the food I laid in them was gone. I have NO IDEA how the mice got the food w/out being caught, but its really irritating me!

I let my landlord know about the issue and they said, "the previous tenants had no issue with mice, so maybe its just one and they're gone." Now I'm not an idiot, I KNOW mice travel in packs or there is always more than just one. So I told them, "no its not just one, I laid out food and the food is GONE and there is no MICE!" She mentioned she'd talk to the owner and get back to me.

In the meantime, I fear that the mice are chewing through my clothes, shoes, books, anything! I did some MAJOR cleaning yesterday and put things high, where I would hope they cannot craw to. Who knows though? Rodents are nasty, annoying, and clever creatures.

Also, I have begun to get hives or some type of irritating skin rash on my shoulder, which I have no idea if that is linked to the mice in the house or just me being outside and getting bit.

What other suggestions do you all have to rid of mice??? I don't want to move, but this is a NASTY infestation!!

THANK - YOU!!

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAJ2921
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

the one time I had an issue with this we used peppermint oil. not sure why but the mice couldn't STAND IT. Maybe because I put down sooooo much of it. LOL...I used sooo much that one mouse (turns out it was 3..a mom and her 2 babies) was stunned...easily caught and disposed of. But you have to be careful...you get rid of the mice with the oil but you attract other things that like it..like ants.

Another thing to try (especially in the kitchen) is bleach. I mix 2 cups bleach with hot water in a spray bottle and spray down EVERYTHING and then wipe it down.  Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

oh Yikes - hate mice!  I've used traps and poison b4.  The landlord should be taking care of this. And yes, u r right - if u see one, there's 7.  GL!

huneebadger
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Try pure peppermint oil, they do not like it. We had mice in our basement and I put a bunch of cotton balls with the peppermint oil all over and they disappeared. I do it every fall now and we have not had an issue.

xsmommy12
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the same problem when I moved into my home. I put poison out like under the sink and places where kids and pets couldn't get it. Knock on wood I haven't seen one since then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cholita1978
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom lives in an apartment in Queens NY (mice by the thousands over there) and my mom tried every trap, finally she adopted a cat (mice were gone within a few days) does the owner let u have pets?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jenn31
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

When you put food out on the traps, poison the food. They will run a little slower till they fall over and die; so its easier to catch them

ghostcat90
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/call-of-the-wildman/videos/its-raining-rats.htm Turtle Man! 

The big green blocks at Lowes work wonders (we have rentals and are always chasing critters out when tenants move out).

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank goodness for my cat she takes care of them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Belovedmoonpixi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Have someone lend you a cat...believe me, you´d only need it for a couple of days...he doesn´t have to be a hunter, either, just the smell of the cat in the house is enough to send the mice away! (Honest, when they razed all the vegetation in a vacant lot next to my neighborhood we had rats almost as big as my dog... we brought in a kitten...a little scrawny thing that could barely meow... within 2 days, no more rats... ever!

KrEnChIk21
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Quoting cholita1978:

My mom lives in an apartment in Queens NY (mice by the thousands over there) and my mom tried every trap, finally she adopted a cat (mice were gone within a few days) does the owner let u have pets?

Hello! Good morning! Thank-you for your suggestion! I am allowed to have a cat, but I don't want to do it quite yet. I'm not ready for the responsibility of a cat and a baby! LOL!! When I get a little more money and consideration, a cat is definitely on the idea plate!!

Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN