Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

The battle of the last name!!! Advice wanted

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 52 Replies
My baby is about to be born any day now. The father and I are battling what the baby's last name should be. In the beginning I offered to hyphenate the last name, but he didn't agree. So I decided that the baby would take my last name. Now he all of a sudden wants me to hyphenate it. What would you do???
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ali32
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Give the baby your name. I wish I would've given my daughter my last name but I was trying to be nice and go along with what her father wanted. 

soulofsunmama
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Me to.

Quoting Ali32:

Give the baby your name. I wish I would've given my daughter my last name but I was trying to be nice and go along with what her father wanted. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britmichele
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
My child has my last name :) I think you should do what you feel is right
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama011613
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish it was as easy as that. I gave my son my last name and even kept the father off the birth certificate. But the father appealed to the court to have the last name changed. They MADE me hyphenate the last name, it didnt matter what type of father he was or the fact that i have full custody, the court just said he is the biological father, so he gets to have his name on our son just like i do. I still feel outraged by it but theres nothing i can do. If the father didnt care about it and never appealed for it, i wouldnt have had to change it but since he requested it, i was forced to change it... =(
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I would give the baby my last name.

321.BAA
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM

This makes me mad and sad and not going to lie kinda scared.

Quoting ProudMama011613:

I wish it was as easy as that. I gave my son my last name and even kept the father off the birth certificate. But the father appealed to the court to have the last name changed. They MADE me hyphenate the last name, it didnt matter what type of father he was or the fact that i have full custody, the court just said he is the biological father, so he gets to have his name on our son just like i do. I still feel outraged by it but theres nothing i can do. If the father didnt care about it and never appealed for it, i wouldnt have had to change it but since he requested it, i was forced to change it... =(

soulofsunmama
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM
That truly sucks!
I had no idea they would/could do that:(

Quoting ProudMama011613:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumii17
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Same here I wish I would have given my baby my name

Quoting Ali32:

Lillysmommy0113
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

my dd has my last name, her father isnt in her life and doesnt oplan on it so she didnt get his last name.

Lillysmommy0113
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

that's messed up. i would have tried to fight teeth and nail so it wouldn't have gotten changed.

Quoting ProudMama011613:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)