Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

adoption questions

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
When we get married my bf is going to adopt my dd. How does that work when i will move to a different state. In GA he(dad) has no rights. Do I follow the laws where she was born, or where we live.
We will be in either California, or Hawaii, depending on when we marry and when he changes station (army).
Also with military where you live isn't always where your legal residence is. He still has Cali plates and license bc he's still considered a cali resident, but I'm in GA
Dad isn't on BC, and had seen her once in two years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Musiq_Junkie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

*bump*

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Check the laws for step parent adoption in your current state, talk to a family law attorney as well. You'll get your best answers there! Once the adoption is finalized, it won't matter where you live!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I've looked at the laws here, but we won't be here during the adoption.

Quoting grneyedormom:

Check the laws for step parent adoption in your current state, talk to a family law attorney as well. You'll get your best answers there! Once the adoption is finalized, it won't matter where you live!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine389142
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Well, I guess I would look into it when you know where you will be when the adoption takes place.  It is hard to say without knowing where you will be when the adoption takes place.

Good luck.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM
So i go by the law there

Quoting sunshine389142:

Well, I guess I would look into it when you know where you will be when the adoption takes place.  It is hard to say without knowing where you will be when the adoption takes place.

Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

That is what I would do, you may need to figure out how to essentially find, contact and notify the bio father in order to finalize the adoption. Each state has different ways of doing this type of adoption.

Quoting kitty8199:

So i go by the law there

Quoting sunshine389142:

Good luck.

Proud Momma to one fabulous 4th grader.

wearing crowngirl giving flower

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM
He's in prison

Quoting grneyedormom:

That is what I would do, you may need to figure out how to essentially find, contact and notify the bio father in order to finalize the adoption. Each state has different ways of doing this type of adoption.

Quoting kitty8199:

So i go by the law there

Quoting sunshine389142:

Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I know when a family member of mine was wanting her husband ot adopt her daughter, she had to place an ad in the paper attempting to locate the biological father, for a certain period of time, per her state's law, before the adoption could do through. Is he aware of your child? Has he acknowledged her even though he's not on the BC?

Quoting kitty8199:

He's in prison

Quoting grneyedormom:

Quoting kitty8199:

So i go by the law there

Quoting sunshine389142:

Good luck.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM
He refused to sign the paternity acknowledgment form.
He has seen her once. I just got a letter last week from him saying he doesn't like another man around us and wants pictures. Didn't hear s word from him while i was single.
He pops up every time I'm dating someone

Quoting grneyedormom:

I know when a family member of mine was wanting her husband ot adopt her daughter, she had to place an ad in the paper attempting to locate the biological father, for a certain period of time, per her state's law, before the adoption could do through. Is he aware of your child? Has he acknowledged her even though he's not on the BC?

Quoting kitty8199:

He's in prison

Quoting grneyedormom:

Quoting kitty8199:

So i go by the law there

Quoting sunshine389142:

Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

How long is he in prison for? Sounds like he's going to be a thorn in your side when you arrange for your sweetie to adopt, so get an attorney through JAG if you can once you are married to assist you in your adoption and legal steps that you need to take. Good luck.

Quoting kitty8199:

He refused to sign the paternity acknowledgment form.
He has seen her once. I just got a letter last week from him saying he doesn't like another man around us and wants pictures. Didn't hear s word from him while i was single.
He pops up every time I'm dating someone

Quoting grneyedormom:

Quoting kitty8199:

He's in prison

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)