Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

where to start?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am trying to familiarize myself with the custody laws in my state etc. So that when I file for my son I am on top of things and fighting the best I can. I started a Google search and opened a whole new can of worms, boy is there tons of information! So any advice on where I should start .y research?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome.  Try talking to an attorney. 

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Honestly talk to an attorney but a lot is going to depend on how old the kids are, your relationship with your ex and his relationship with kids. Personally I think you should see if you 2 can go to mediation. Your court nay offer it or you can talk to an attorney that does mediation. Can you 2 agree on joint legal custody?
Shygirl951
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
No, we don't agree anything. He wants full physical custody as do I sooo yea...

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Honestly talk to an attorney but a lot is going to depend on how old the kids are, your relationship with your ex and his relationship with kids. Personally I think you should see if you 2 can go to mediation. Your court nay offer it or you can talk to an attorney that does mediation. Can you 2 agree on joint legal custody?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Well, custody needs to be reached and so does visitation.  I would seek help from an attorney.  Give up searching Google.  There is info out there, but all you can really do is come to a compromise with the ex through the court system.  As far as custody - generally the kids stay with the mom unless she's unfit.  Visitation rights are set-up as your continue through with divorce.  It's up to the two of you to agree to what days are best for visits, vacations, etc.  CS needs to be set-up and that should depend on stbx's income.

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

In California and Nevada THE COURTS ARE IN FAVOR OF JOIN CUSTODY!!!

Educate yourself....find out about the courts in your State!!hugsand good luck!

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM
I'm in AZ and joint us being given more and more. For both parents to insist on some is just stupid. Bite the bullet and offer joint.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)